Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2015 10:00

XPS 8300 (late 2010) does not turn on

My XPS 8300 for a couple of weeks now won't turn on when I press the power button if it's been shut down or gone to sleep.

The workaround I have figured out is to unplug the power cord, hold the power button down for 30 seconds to discharge any remaining power (read that on another post), and then reconnect the power cord.

At that point, I can press the power button and the computer starts up normally. If I'm recovering from sleep state, it recovers as if it had been asleep, not completely shutdown.

I suspect a failing power supply. Can anyone confirm my suspicion or suggest another possible cause?

Thank you!

Jeffrey Pike

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

August 31st, 2015 18:00

What color is power button when it won't turn on, and is it steady or blinking?

When was last time you replaced motherboard battery? You may be right that the PSU is dying, but a CR2032 battery is only ~$2 at discount stores. So you may want to start with that. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, at least you'll have ruled it out before you spend a bunch on a new PSU.

Before replacing the battery, reboot and press F2 to open BIOS setup. Copy down all the current BIOS settings. Then power off and press/hold power button before opening the case.

When you remove the old battery, BIOS will be reset to the default settings which may not be suitable for your system. So if you get an error message when you reboot with the new battery, go back into BIOS setup and make sure all settings match what you copied and save any changes before exiting setup.

September 1st, 2015 05:00

Hi Ron. If the computer is in sleep mode, the power button is orange and steady. I have never seen it blink. Thanks for the mother board battery tip. I will give that a try.

Jeffrey Pike

September 2nd, 2015 05:00

Well, last night, the power switch started working again. I'm wondering if the month of 75-80% humidity and 80-90 degree (F) temperatures we just went through had something to do with the problem. Thank you again for your suggestions.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2015 11:00

Glad it's working again. But it still won't hurt to replace that battery. And while you're in there, use some canned air to chase out all the dust bunnies...

No Events found!