Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 2nd, 2016 01:00

XPS 8300 memory upgrades

Hello all,

I've upgraded my Dell XPS 8300 recently with some new memory and two hard drives. My old memory was at 8gb with 4 dimm slots each with 2gb 1333mhz DDR3-1333 PC3-10600, CL9, 240 pin, 1.5 V.

But I bought 2 sticks of 4 gb ram at 1600mhz DDR3 PC3-12800, CL11, 240 pin, 1.5 V. And I installed them in slots 1 and 3. Now I thought everything would work fine but lately I've been getting random crashes on my pc ever since the installation, some days I get 2-3 crashes some days I get none. I know it's not my hard drives that I installed because I disabled them and the error still occurs. So I know that these errors have to be coming from my memory.

So I'm wondering are there compatibility issues between the two different ram? Also I'm wondering can my motherboard even run the new memory that I bought? My motherboard model is the one that I got when I bought the Dell XPS 8300 which is 0Y2MRG. My CPU is the Sandy Bridge Core i5-2320.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 2nd, 2016 05:00

I put 4×4 GB Crucial models in mine and its been fine. If theres a problem with RAM the preboot diagnostics should pick it up however you may want to reseat all your RAM modules and really push them firmly in. Theres also the graphics card because you need to remove it to get to the RAM. Make sure that's really tightly in and not hanging slightly loose.

April 2nd, 2016 05:00

I put 4×4 GB Crucial models in mine and its been fine. If theres a problem with RAM the preboot diagnostics should pick it up however you may want to reseat all your RAM modules and really push them firmly in. Theres also the graphics card because you need to remove it to get to the RAM. Make sure that's really tightly in and not hanging slightly loose.

At first I had the two newer ram in slots 2 and 4 and I was getting more crashes in the day but then I switched them to 1 and 3 and have gotten only a crash a day. I made sure that they were tightly in there. But I still do get them. I'm thinking of exchanging the 2 older ram for 2 newer ones with the exact same specs as the 2 newer ones I got. I'm just not sure if that'll solve the problem. And did you experiment with mixing the new ram with the old ram?

No Events found!