Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 21st, 2012 00:00

XPS 8300 shut downs

Hi

I have a new (6 weeks old) XPS 8300 i7 2600, 8GB ram GTX 560 ti that intermittently shuts itself down (screen goes black, computer restarts itself). I called support and after about a week of phone calls (and about 5 fresh installs of windows) the exact cause couldn't be ascertained and they decided to replace the video card.  This seemed to solve the problem and everything worked fine (gaming, general computing etc) for about a week and then the issue returned.  Am I killing video cards? What else could be the cause? Does the entire system need to be replaced?

Cheers

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 21st, 2012 03:00

It is hard to "remote" troubleshoot a problem such as this from a forum.  

One issue that deserves investigating is the "Active PFC" power supply.  These were a requirement of the EU and eventually became standard for PC's worldwide (rather than have two different types).  The Active PFC power supply is more efficient but it can be more sensitive to Mains (AC) power line fluctuations and depending on what happens to the voltage can even shut down and restart.   When used with a UPS unit, for many Active PFC power supplies the UPS unit, when on battery, must either have a true sine wave output or a switching time of less than 4ms.  

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2012 08:00

brendananan,

Please see this.

No Events found!