scottb9239
1 Nickel

RE: XPS 8300, video card upgrade?

Letting you know I have an XPS 8300 with a06 bios and an "EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0" installed, works perfectly, as long as you have a higher output PSU, (I have a 750W installed now), the standard one is not powerful enough.

The only thing I had trouble with was I originally bought the  "EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0" version but it was too wide (5.064 inches), I couldn't get the power plug to fit into the card as the PC case was in the way.  The SC version is only 4.376 inches wide and fits perfectly.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
michwat
1 Nickel

thx Scott for the info gives me some options for new video cards

0 Kudos
zukdj
1 Nickel

Curiously I found something weird with my XPS-8300, its bios is at A8 and looking I only see up to A6 supported so how did it get to A8? I purchased a Gigabyte R9 270 video card for my XPS-8300 and no go however I swapped it with an MSI R9 270 that I had in my XPS-8700 and it worked fine so now both systems are up and running. Does anyone know of a place to get custom bios builds for future reference?

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Some vendors cards ONLY work with UEFI Bios.  

Dell XPS 8300 and Vostro 460 System BIOS is max A06 on the Downloads Site so I'm wondering if you have an XPS 8500 Vostro 470.

There are no custom bios vendors.  Once a system reaches the 5 year mark there are usually no updates ever again.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
PC_forlife
1 Copper

I tried the XFX 40 8GB, it didn't work, apparently it is a BIOS incompatibility. Made me furious because I had heard nothing but good things about the AMD card... I resorted to a 960. (1060 wasn't out yet when I needed a new card.)

0 Kudos
taxxo
1 Nickel

hi,

even so this thread is mute for a while i want to add my experience

i just recently got the asus gtx 1080 turbo and for me it does not send any signal to the screen ...the cards boots up (lights and everything) but thats it.

Bios is a06

psu 530w

0 Kudos
jvahabzadeh
2 Iron

Maybe the card requires UEFI, and doesn't support PCs that have Legacy BIOS?

I think the power should not be an issue if it's a high-quality power supply.  Might be cutting it close, maybe.

I have no experience with the 1080, though, so take this with a grain of salt.

0 Kudos
Rick1991
1 Copper

I just saw ur post because i am in the same situation, i also have the 8300 xps with the 460w psu..i also wanted to get the EVGA GTX 1060 SC 3Gg....since u have it how does it run on the 8300 xps?? Any issues??..a reply would help alot

0 Kudos
Dan-H
4 Germanium

This might be of benefit.

en.community.dell.com/.../19523950

0 Kudos
nahnah
1 Copper

Since this is related, see the following post with pics regarding this system at linustechtips.com/.../. It includes a new PSU, GTX 1060 6gb, and a CoolMaster cpu cooler (among other items)--MUCH cooler than the Intel stock fan.

0 Kudos