Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 27th, 2017 13:00

XPS 8300

Hello - all of a sudden the computer won't recognize my keyboard. I have done all the things that I saw suggested but no go. The keyboard works fine with other computer. I even tried a different keyboard and still will not type letters. So - I can't even sign on. HELP 

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

April 27th, 2017 15:00

Nothing much you can do without a keyboard. Good excuse to replace the computer. I assume you tried different usb ports, forced a shutdown by holding down the power button, rebooting, checking all the diagnostic lights...

3 Posts

April 27th, 2017 15:00

I did not try a force shut down, but did all the other things. I just need to figure how to get to the hard drive to get stuff off of it. when you can't sign in it's hard. Any thoughts

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 27th, 2017 19:00

I have done all the things that I saw suggested but no go.

Would help if you told us exactly what you have done so we don't waste time giving you suggestions if you've already tried them...

Eg, Did you clear BIOS by removing the motherboard battery and pressing/holding the power button for ~30 sec?

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

April 28th, 2017 15:00

What did you mean on force shutdown? And if the system is truly having hardware trouble, aside from replacing the bad part, a replacement (as mentioned might be a better choice), but regardless if you did move to a new system you could also just pull the hard disk drive and put it in a caddy/ext usb hdd adapter to transfer the data off of it (as well as back it up).

Service Manuals for your system with instructions on this can be found at this link

Best regards,

Brad

3 Posts

April 28th, 2017 16:00

What I did was boot up and then hold the power button until the unit shut down then powered it back up and it worked. Thanks for hepl

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 13:00

Glad to hear you got this working! Thanks so much for the update!

Best regards,

Brad

No Events found!