Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

May 25th, 2015 18:00

XPS 8500 Desktop Nothing Happens

I turned on my XPS 8500 desktop after not having used it for a few months and nothing happens. There is power, the light is on. The monitor says 'no signal' (have already hooked the monitor to another computer & it works fine). All the troubleshooting starts at the Dell splash screen. I don't even get the splash screen.Any ideas?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 25th, 2015 19:00

What color is the power button and is it steady or blinking?

Dead motherboard battery, if you haven't used it in a few months..?

CR2032, 3-volt lithium ion battery, ~$2 at discount stores. Consult manual for instructions to replace it. Even if that doesn't solve the problem, it's a small amount to spend even if it only rules out the battery.

3 Posts

May 25th, 2015 20:00

Power button is white. Blinks for about a minute or so then it is solid white. No sound either (beeps) except for the fan, etc. I was just about to go thru the troubleshooting for no beep codes...Hope it's only the battery.

3 Posts

June 19th, 2015 19:00

Finally got around to replacing the battery. Power button blinks white, but I can get it to be solid white. Still nothing, no sound except the fan, etc. No beeps. Do I need a new motherboard?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 20th, 2015 12:00

You might try disconnecting the power cord and then holding the power button down for a few seconds.

It's hard to say what the problem is, and an XPS 8500 motherboard is an expensive proposition. I troubleshoot  these problems by swapping in replacements for the usual suspects, starting with the power supply. (The power supply is the most common component to fail.)

It's possible to use a third party micro-ATX motherboard in an XPS 8500 chassis, but you'd have to swap some wires for the front panel connector. (Yes, I did this for an XPS 7100, which shares the same chassis.)

No Events found!