Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 18th, 2013 16:00

XPS 8500 - Did Windows 8.1 update disable Secure Boot?

I've got a relatively new XPS 8500 which I installed the Windows 8.1 update on yesterday. Once it was installed, I saw I have a new watermark on the desktop informing me (along with the version and build) that, "Secure boot isn't configured correctly". Checking Event Logs > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > VerifyHardwareSecurity > Admin, I see that Secure Boot is currently disabled. Please enable Secureboot through the system firmware.

I actually do know that the boot mode was UEFI, Secure Boot On when the machine came, but now when I get into UEFI configuration, everything looks totally different...among other things instead of "Boot Mode" offering options like "UEFI, Secure boot off" and "Legacy, Secure Boot off", there are separate options for boot mode (UEFI or Legacy) and Secure Boot is it's own option. But Secure Boot is now listed as "off" and there's no way to change the setting. I assume it needs new keys generated/installed or something, but the options in this new menu are very minimal and I don't see how to manage things like that.

(BTW, obviously when I changed from UEFI mode to Legacy, it couldn't find a boot device; I'd have to reinstall Windows if I went that way. I'd rather just re-enable Secure Boot).

Any help? I don't know when/how Secure Boot got turned off, how to turn it back on, or even why my configuration menu looks so different now!

4 Posts

October 26th, 2013 13:00

I think we are waiting on a solution from Engineering.  I set BIOS to defaults and am having the same problem as others,  as soon as Windows boots, Secure Boot is disabled again.  I also tried deleting the key reinstalling it and that only provides the appearance of being fixed until you restart.  The settings go back to normal.  Ran the quick diagnostic test and everything is fine.  I am expecting an A12 bios to address this issue.

151 Posts

October 26th, 2013 13:00

Mine is that updating fails at 88%, trying to restart.

tried disabling antivirus, and everything is updated.

October 29th, 2013 21:00

Hi SylvQuinnsGrampy,

The NVidia GT 630 card has VGA, HDMI and DVI-D as display connectors.

Please share the port you to which you have connected the monitor.

Update the BIOS of your system from the link http://dell.to/1f2YsvM.

You may refer to the video on the link http://dell.to/176grvH for steps on how to update the BIOS.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

October 30th, 2013 05:00

Hi All,

Microsoft has released an update to resolve the "Windows 8.1 SecureBoot isn't configured correctly" watermark in Windows 8.1.

I will suggest you to download and install the update to see if it resolves the issue for you. The link is http://dell.to/17wCFLt.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

3 Posts

October 30th, 2013 05:00

worked...YAY :emotion-2: thanks for the link.

now, just to get command center working correctly with 8.1 and we'll be good to go.:emotion-15:

October 30th, 2013 07:00

Hi Kuldeep M. The monitor that I am using is VGA - it is connected to the NVidia using an adapter to the first port of the card (DVI to VGA).  I can run the diagnostics from MY Dell on the computer but not from the website. I did contact Dell and the Express Service code was Service code removed as per privacy policy>. The sleep problem reappeared within the few days. I have set the power management to never for both the monitor and the CPU but it has gone to sleep 4 times since the technician went through the computer. My service tag is Service tag removed as per privacy policy>. Thanks SylvQuinnsGrampy.

4 Posts

October 30th, 2013 07:00

Awesome, thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 30th, 2013 12:00

worked...YAY :emotion-2: thanks for the link.

Out of curiousity, is Secure Boot actually enabled in BIOS setup now, or did the Microsoft fix just hide the problem by disabling the watermark?? :emotion-5:

3 Posts

October 30th, 2013 13:00

They just hid the watermark. From the reading I've been doing on secure boot I think its going to take a bios update to enable it:emotion-7:

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 30th, 2013 14:00

They just hid the watermark. From the reading I've been doing on secure boot I think its going to take a bios update to enable it:emotion-7:

That's what I figured. You will all have to wait until BIOS is updated on each of the affected models to have Secure Boot again.

You would have thunk Microsoft could have done things differently and not to disable Secure Boot in BIOS...Guess not!  :emotion-4:

October 30th, 2013 17:00

Is true. This don't fix the issue. The secure boot continue disabled but in Windows, the watermark is gone.

October 31st, 2013 05:00

Hi All,

The update from Microsoft is to remove the watermark visible after the upgrade.

This may not fix the issue with the ‘Secure Boot’ option being greyed out or unable to change.

Dell engineering team is working towards a resolution for the secure boot issue and we will keep you updated.

I will request all to share the status for the ‘Secure Boot’ and ‘Load Legacy Option ROM’, if these options are still greyed out as for mcdu812 and danielbighelini or if you are able to change the settings, however the settings revert on restarting the system.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you further.

3 Posts

November 11th, 2013 14:00

So, Secure Boot is already enabled for me, but the setting in the Bios is greyed out so I can't change it. Dell certainly needs to get out a Bios update to resolve this, but that stupid watermark has been driving me nuts!

Did some more digging and it looks like Microsoft has released a patch that takes care of the watermark issue: 

Download the KB2902864 hotfix for Windows 8.1 x64

Download the KB2902864 hotfix for Windows 8.1 x86

3 Posts

The "Secure Boot" option is greyed out for me and I can't set it to Enabled...

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

The "Secure Boot" option is greyed out for me and I can't set it to Enabled...

What model PC?

You're probably going to have to wait for Dell to issue a BIOS update before you can enable Secure Boot again.

No Events found!