Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2014 16:00

XPS 8500 Motherboard wiring for new case

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my XPS 8500 with a new power supply and a GTX 770, the original case was a bit packed. So now I got a new mid-tower case for it, but I'm stuck at the front panel wiring. The front panel connectors on the motherboard are like the following:

ooooo
oooox

The connectors I have from the new case are: Power Switch, Reset Switch, Power LED, Hard Drive Activity +, and Hard Drive Activity -

Can someone please give me some advice of the wiring please? Thank you very much.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 28th, 2014 23:00

The power LED and HDD activity LED are in their normal places, but the power switch straddles the two rows of pins adjacent to the LED pins. I don't know about a reset switch.

My XPS 8500 motherboard is installed in a Cooler Master N200 case.

18 Posts

May 30th, 2014 05:00

This one works for me, the Reset button works too. But seems I can't press and hold the Power button to turn off the PC anymore, not sure why. But all sorted, very happy.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 30th, 2014 21:00

My XPS 8500 functions perfectly, although I don't have a RESET button with my case. The wiring you have indicated is incorrect; I know this from tracing the leads from a front panel connector I bought on eBay.

3 Posts

September 6th, 2014 11:00

The diagram works as it powered my transplanted XPS8500 but I am gettiing 4 beeps and would not boot up. Any suggestions?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

September 6th, 2014 19:00

The diagram works as it powered my transplanted XPS8500 but I am gettiing 4 beeps and would not boot up. Any suggestions?

The diagram shown is NOT correct for the XPS 8500. The power switch pins straddle the two rows, and I'm not sure if there is a reset switch at all.

18 Posts

September 7th, 2014 02:00

The diagram shown is NOT correct for the XPS 8500. The power switch pins straddle the two rows, and I'm not sure if there is a reset switch at all.

Dude, if you insist the wiring in the picture wouldn't work, why won't you indicate how it should work?

The above picture was just taken from my setup, I use a Thermaltake Urban S41. My XPS8500 was bought in March 2013, with an i7-3770 on the H77 mobo. As you can see, the the connectors for Power Switch and Power LEDs DO MATCH the wiring picture I posted previously, and I can guarantee you the other side of the connectors match the wiring picture too. The reason I couldn't post the picture is because I couldn't squeeze my phone in between the connectors and the GTX770. The mobo does support Reset, so if your new case has a Reset button, the connection will give you the Reset function.

18 Posts

September 7th, 2014 02:00

I think the 4 beeps were related to something else, if it was power related, it shouldn't boot at all or you would be smelling your XPS8500 toasted. Try resit your Ram, only connect minimal device, and see if you can enter the BIOS setup first.

3 Posts

September 7th, 2014 03:00

Yup, my gtx660 was touching the ram lock. My xps in a new case is working fine now. Thanks as i could not find your diagram anywhere else. Like you said, reset works fine but i could not press and hold the POWER button to force shutdown. Now i just need to know how to upgrade its ugly cpu fan as I couldnt remove the base plate under the motherboard. Ill post a picture of my F panel when I get home

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

September 8th, 2014 20:00

Dude, if you insist the wiring in the picture wouldn't work, why won't you indicate how it should work?

It won't work, because I've done this and in the process confirmed that the pin layout is different. I reverse-engineered the pin layout by studying photos of front panel cable assemblies on eBay. The pin assignments appear to be the same for all variants of that chassis.

I can't find the post I made in 2013 detailing the pin assignments, but I do remember the power switch straddling the two rows of pins, adjacent to the two pairs of LED pins. Since the XPS 8500 case doesn't have a reset switch, there was no way to confirm whether or not the board supports one.

I used a Cooler Master Vortex CPU cooler, fastened with regular screws to the OEM bracket. All case wiring apart from the front panel, including the USB 3.0 headers, was standard.

1 Message

January 8th, 2015 10:00

This works for me as well. All functions tested and working. I noticed this is the same front panel pinout as most ASUS motherboards.

It should be noted that I actually moved an XPS 9000 motherboard to a new case.

No Events found!