Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 11th, 2017 16:00

XPS 8500 No Boot Device Found

My XPS 8500 came up with the error No Boot Device Found. I tried several reboots with no luck. I did a factory reset on the BIOS with no luck. When I try a refresh or reinstall, I get a message about the drive where Windows is installed is locked. This is a Windows 8.1 system with a 2tb hard drive and 32g msata cache.

If I go to a command prompt under troubleshooting, all I see is the cache drive. The 2tb drive shows up at first power on in the Intel screen but disappears after that. I've tried legacy boot with no luck as well.

How can I get to the 2tb drive to reinstall? Or could it be toast, how can I be sure? I've tried a recovery USB but still can't get to to 2tb drive?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 12th, 2017 18:00

Guess you'll need to ask Santa for a new hard drive since the warranty has probably expired. Sorry 'bout that. [:'(]

After you replace the old 2T drive and load Windows, drivers and apps on the new one, you can reinstall the old 2T as a secondary drive to see if you can rescue your files, if they're not already backed up elsewhere..

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 11th, 2017 17:00

Reboot and immediately press F12. Look for option to run extended hard drive tests. Copy down error messages, if any.

If no error messages, try this:

•Restart the computer with the original installation media (a DVD or USB flash drive*)

•Click Repair

•At the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot

•Click Advanced options

•Click Command Prompt

•Type in: chkdsk C: /f /x /r

Reboot normally when chkdsk is done, if it doesn't boot automatically.

*If you don't have a DVD or USB, you can download the files to create one for free from Microsoft here:

www.microsoft.com/.../windows8

2 Posts

December 12th, 2017 12:00

Thanks for the info. I ran the F12 and got a 'Short test unsuccessful' on the hard drive. The error code was 2000-0142, validation 116770 on drive 0-0-0. The serial number matched to the 2tb drive.

I'm assuming this means the drive has failed.

No Events found!