Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2012 08:00

XPS 8500 PCIe eSATA support

Just got my new XPS 8500, which is really nice (quiet, great performance) - but I have an issue getting my PCIe eSATA card to function correctly.

The EC2 eSATA PCIe device is definitely functional, I was using it in an XPS 420 and verified it still works - but now when I insert it into any of the 3 PCIe 1x16 slots in the XPS 8500 , it's not recognized by either the XPS 8500 BIOS during post or in the Operating System (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit).

Previously, the eSATA device would allow me to press Ctrl+S during post to run diagnostics on the XPS 420 but not so on the XPS 8500.  When I go into the XPS 8500 setup screen (using F2) I don't see any options that might help me.

Does anyone know what might be causing this behavior?  Is this a known issue that might this be addressed in a future BIOS update?

38 Posts

September 26th, 2012 07:00

Ditto to most of the above post.

Although I was originally in no hurry to update and even suggested if one didn't really need it, to just let it be, I decided to take the plunge after reading all the fixes and updates that went with this BIOS update. It went flawlessly, took less than 10 min from start to finish. No problems whatsoever and I didn't remove or unplug anything.

Info on what it fixes etc.

www.dell.com/.../xps-8500

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

May 20th, 2012 12:00

Did you install any drivers and software that came with the card? Check the windows 7 compatibility web site to see if the card is compatible-- www.microsoft.com/.../Default.aspx

272 Posts

May 20th, 2012 22:00

@Mary - Hi thanks for your response.  I have all of the drivers for the card but I can't install them.... instructions tell me to look for yellow bangs in Device Manager and then select update drivers, the problem is that the device never shows up in the device manager.

The problem is occurring before the OS phase, most likely in the BIOS... because the BIOS doesn't detect / talk to  the eSATA card, the OS never sees it either.

16 Posts

May 26th, 2012 12:00

I have a similar issue using a PCI-E SATA card.  It's an ASMEDIA based 1061 2-port SATA card.  it works fine in all of my other computers.  However, when I plug it into the XPS 8500, the machine doesn't POST.  It turns on but nothing happens.  After I remove the card, the computer works normally.

16 Posts

May 26th, 2012 13:00

Yes.  A05 was the BIOS my XPS 8500 shipped with.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 26th, 2012 13:00

Do you have the latest version of BIOS installed? A05

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 26th, 2012 18:00

I pinged my Dell contacts to see if they have any suggestions about getting eSATA cards working in the XPS 8500. May take a few days for them to respond because it's a holiday weekend.

NOTE: I'm only a forum volunteer, not a Dell employee, so I can't promise they'll say or do anything.  :emotion-5:

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

One more thing.... You can try this while waiting for Dell to respond:

Reboot and press F2 before Windows starts to load

When BIOS Setup opens, copy down all the current BIOS settings

Exit setup and let it boot normally

Then shut down normally and unplug

Press/hold power button for ~15 sec

Open case and remove motherboard battery

Press/hold power button again for ~30 sec to reset BIOS to factory defaults

Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!)

Reboot and press F2 before Windows starts to load

When BIOS setup opens, confirm all the settings match what you wrote down

Save any changes before exiting BIOS Setup

See if the eSATA card is recognized after it reboots

272 Posts

yes I had A05 as well, then I downgraded to A03 just to see what would happen.  The PCIe card doesn't work either way.

272 Posts

May 30th, 2012 08:00

@RoHe thanks for your help up to this point.

Unfortunately I can't remove the CMOS battery due to a new cover that's on the XPS 8500 that blocks the release lever that you typically use to take out a battery (see attached photo).  Not wanting to void my warranty, I'm going to pass on that step.  

resetting the default settings BIOS has no effect either - looks like I'll just wait for a response from your contacts.

16 Posts

June 19th, 2012 16:00

I just checked the support site today and I noticed that a BIOS update has been posted A06.  I don't see any release notes, but I will be sure to try this when I get home today.  Woo hoo!  I hope it fixes it.

30 Posts

July 11th, 2012 00:00

Hi all

Has the BIOS update helped?

I have the same problem with an Adaptec SATA RAID 1225sa card that worked nicely in my old XPS9200. No sign that the card is recognized hence no possibility to add drivers.

Does anyone know what standard the PCIe1x ports are?

Bruno

16 Posts

July 11th, 2012 01:00

Sorry, forgot to post in here.  The BIOS update did not help, unfortunately.  I finally found the BIOS release notes here:  www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

So - it looks like there is a problem with seemingly all PCI-E SATA cards.  I don't have any other PCI-E cards to test though.  Do the folks at Dell monitor these forums?  Any hope in getting this fixed?

27 Posts

July 14th, 2012 15:00

I agree - some problem with eSata cards on the XPS 8500.

I am at BIOS rev A06. I have two IOGear GICe702S3R5 cards, and they work perfectly in other Win 7 64 bit machines.  XPS does not even detect either one of them in the Device Manager. 

27 Posts

July 14th, 2012 15:00

Just a note to say that I have tried these cards in different PCIe slots - slots are OK.

No Events found!