Solved!

Go to Solution

January 23rd, 2017 07:00

XPS 8500, System fan failure, F1 to continue, F2 for setup

Please help with this.

Dell XPS 8500

every time I boot it up I get the following error:

System fan failure strike F1 to continue, F2 for setup

The cpu fan is working, temperatues are fine and fan speed normal. Cleaned for dust and applied new thermal paste. Original fan and cpu  from Dell.

I have gone through every setting i BIOS to search for clues, nothing.

Looked for ways to disable warnings, nothing.

Google...? Yes! And nothing.

Just don't know what to do anymore..

Edit: tags and some info

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 23rd, 2017 12:00

Version of Windows?

According to the manual, the XPS 8500 has 2 fans, a chassis fan and the CPU fan. And there's another fan inside the power supply unit.

Are you sure all fans are working? 

Reboot and IMMEDIATELY press F12. Look for the option to run the diagnostics. Run the fan tests. If the CPU fan fails, it's probably because the sensor failed. Unless BIOS sees that sensor when it boots, it issues a fan failure message. And if the sensor has failed, BIOS won't be able to increase CPU fan speed if / when things heat up.

You'd have to replace the CPU fan with an OEM Dell fan because non-Dell fans won't have that sensor and will give you the same error message.

Don't know if the chassis fan has a sensor too, but it might...

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 13:00

Hi and thanks for answering.

Although it did not solve the problem, your description did. All this time I have been focusing on the CPU fan, since I thought this was the "SYSTEM-FAN". After reading your post and studying the mobo a bit closer, I noticed that the case-fan is actually the sys-fan. Since the case is not the original (second one for this rig, no previous problem) I noticed that the case-fan (read; sys-fan) was a 2-pin molex with a which was hooked up to a 3 pin connector on the mobo. I replaced the fan with the original 3-pin fan, and vòila problem solved.

Sorry for taking up your time with this (way too obvious problem, I should have figured out long time ago..) But hey, I learned something new atleast. So thank you for making me think and find new possible solutions to my issue :)

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 14:00

Although it did not solve the problem, your description did. All this time I have been focusing on the CPU fan, since I thought this was the "SYSTEM-FAN". After reading your post and studying the mobo a bit closer, I noticed that the case-fan is actually the sys-fan. Since the case is not the original (second one for this rig, no previous problem) I noticed that the case-fan (read; sys-fan) was a 2-pin molex with a which was hooked up to a 3 pin connector on the mobo. I replaced the fan with the original 3-pin fan, and vòila problem solved.

Sorry for taking up your time with this (way too obvious problem, I should have figured out long time ago..) But hey, I learned something new atleast. So thank you for making me think and find new possible solutions to my issue :)

4 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 15:00

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 24th, 2017 10:00

Glad you got it sorted.

When all else fails, read the manual... :emotion-4:

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 24th, 2017 18:00

You'd have to replace the CPU fan with an OEM Dell fan because non-Dell fans won't have that sensor and will give you the same error message.

Not true: if the fan has the third wire, it should work. I have an XPS 8500 motherboard installed in a Cooler Master chassis, and I don't get this message for either the case fan or the CPU fan, both of which are aftermarket.

No Events found!