Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2014 09:00

XPS 8500 Windows 8 Recovery Fails 0x400110020000105

Less than one month out of warranty and my xps 8500 crashed badly. 

After several attempts at carrying out the miserable automatic recovery process I gave up and decided to carry out a complete factory refresh. 

This also fails with the error above. 

Any suggestions ?  

Terry

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 9th, 2014 10:00

Any suggestions ?  

Which version of Windows is involved?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

[quote user="Tergee"]Any suggestions ?  

Which version of Windows is involved?[/quote]

Thread title says Windows 8. :emotion-4:

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

Read this about running the hardware diagnostic  tests, especially for the hard drive.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 9th, 2014 12:00

Error:0x400110020000105

Indicates attempt to clone drive with encrypted recovery partition.

There is no resolution to this because encrypted ntfs partitions cannot be cloned.

5 Posts

January 10th, 2014 05:00

Cheers. I've run the diagnostics and chkdsk from the command line. No errors. 

Even if I bought a new drive I'm not confident I could reinstall using the recovery disks. 

This leaves me with a possibly faulty disk/controller and without a working OS no way to test any components. 

5 Posts

I'm not attempting to clone the drive. I'm attempting to recover the existing drive using the recovery disks. 

5 Posts

Though you did point me in the right direction  :)  My partition table looks suspect (though I'm not expert on GPT) 

Unfortunately I can't recover to my secondary drive as it's the wrong size ... 

So my alternatives would seem to be 

a) throw myself at Dell's mercy and try to buy media disks even though I'm out of warranty. 

b) Buy a 2 TB disk and hope recovery works 

Not everso confident in either of those .. 

c) buy/download a new OS and write off the money I've spent as one of those things ... 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 10th, 2014 07:00

Remove all drives but the original and then try the recovery.

What happens then?

254 Posts

January 10th, 2014 11:00

this all smells of a bad hard drive ... and is another example of why everyone needs a normal installation disk.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

January 10th, 2014 13:00

this all smells of a bad hard drive ... and is another example of why everyone needs a normal installation disk.

Which means we need the Media Reduction Initiative cancelled.

DataSafe Local
* Effective Apr 1, 2010, all Dell systems will no longer include the Operating System or Resource Driver discs. Utilize DataSafe Local to restore/create copy of the media
* DataSafe Local provides you with the capability to create a set of Recovery Discs that contain a complete copy of all software installed on your Dell computer. By creating these Recovery Discs, you are making a backup of all the software that was installed on your computer at the factory, which allows you to reinstall all applications, drivers and the Windows operating system shipped with your computer. While there is a similar copy of the software in the recovery partition, creating recovery discs provides additional protection for the factory installed software.
* DataSafe Local FAQ

My Dell Downloads
* My Dell Downloads provide you the access and tools to quickly create backup and recovery media or restore your system to factory settings. You can either choose to download and install an application or make a copy of the download, subject to any limitation in the application's license agreement
* You can either choose to download and install an application or make a copy of the download
* The maximum number of downloads in any case is 3 per application
My Dell Downloads FAQ
* List of Applications available from My Dell Downloads
Facial Recognition by Sensible Vision
Power DVD (DVD)
Power DVD (BD)
Roxio Easy CD-DVD Burning DE
Roxio Burn
Dell Webcam Central
Trend Micro PC-cillin (15/24/36months)
Sapphire McAfee (15/24/36months)

This was also BAD.