Highlighted
Tubbrad
Copper

XPS 8500 Windows 8 crashed, used Dell Back-up and Recovery, machine is now back up, but not recovered

Howdy,

After several months of happy use, my XPS 8500 refused to boot one morning.

The only available option was to perform a back up and recovery. So after looking in vain for something else, I chose that.
After several hours and a usb external hard drive, it reported it was finished. But then when I rebooted the machine... doom and gloom.

The windows 8 start page showed my name and a purple back drop and that was it. No apps, no programs. After a struggle I found the desktop and files were there, but xls files were no longer recognised as a excel spread sheet so I had lost MS Office, and all other major programs I had loaded.

Using my wife's laptop I discovered the dell trending support topic about back up and recovery. It recommended that I let the pc sit for 20 minutes and it would recover it self. It didn't.

I then tried the diagnostics. From a reboot I went through the bios diagnostics and after a complete test, everything is fine.

I then went to download the dell diagnostics, and I got an error "PC Doctor module has failed". And try as I may, I cannot download anything from dell.

Reading forums, it suggested uninstalling the Dell Support program and reinstalling. Well I could uninstall, but cannot re-install.

So now, I am very frustrated and have a good piece of hardware that cannot even do simple office programs.

Any ideas?

Last time I rang Dell's help line I waited hours, and got poor help, so I am hoping the forum may supply a working answer quicker!

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: XPS 8500 Windows 8 crashed, used Dell Back-up and Recovery, machine is now back up, but not recovered

Hi Tubbrad,

It’s unfortunate that you are not finding the Microsoft Office application after performing Dell Backup and Recovery process. Please let me know the ‘Microsoft Office application’ which came with system, so that I could provide you the download link to install the application and activate it using MPI card which was shipped with the system or Please send me a private message with the computer's service tag, Name registered during the system purchase and email address so that I can check system configuration and assist you further. To send a private message, click on my name and select start conversation.

0 Kudos