Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2017 09:00

XPS 8500 not working. I need to recover files from SSD

My Dell XPS 8500 shutdown and has not been able power on. I cleaned it and changed the PSU and it still refuses to come on. I need help to get files from my SSD. I need instructions on how to remove the SSD drive and I need to know what SSD adapter I need to buy to recover my documents. The drive is a LITEONIT LMT-256M3M

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 7th, 2017 10:00

it still refuses to come on

Do you care to elaborate? Does power button light up and what color is it, and steady or blinking ? Do fans spin? Do you see anything on the monitor? Etc...

Are your personal files all on the SSD and not on an internal hard drive in the XPS 8500?

That SSD appears to be an mSATA drive. You can find info to remove the mSATA drive in the XPS 8500 manual.

You'd need something like an mSATA>USB adapter so you can connect that SSD to a USB port on another PC.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 7th, 2017 12:00

LMT-256M6M is mSATA so you need a usb to msata adapter.
https://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-Bullet-Proof-Enclosure-Adapter/dp/B00AYIDDMA

You remove 1 small screw and put in the adapter.

This wont help of course if the MSATA was being used as a readyboot cache drive.

2 Posts

February 11th, 2017 09:00

The power button lights up for 1 second and it is amber. The power comes on for about 1 second the fans spin and it shuts off. I removed the internal drive before all it stopped working because it was causing a freezing problem.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 11th, 2017 17:00

If the power LED comes on for a sec and then shuts off, you may actually have a power supply problem.

But before doing anything else, carefully examine all USB ports with a flashlight. If any of them is bent or broken that could cause the power to shut off almost immediately.

If one of the USB ports is bent and the contacts are touching each other, you could try using something NON-metal to see if you can gently separate the contacts. That port may never work again, but if you can separate the contacts, you may be able to get the system working. Obviously, be sure to unplug the PC from the wall and press/hold power button for ~30 sec before checking the ports. And don't dig around in any of the USB ports unless you're certain it's bent and shorting out.

If the USBs all look ok, then I suggest you investigate a power supply problem.

No Events found!