Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2012 09:00

XPS 8500, video card, power supply, upgrades

I see several threads looking for XPS 8500  video card upgrades that can be used with the stock 460w PSU or upgraded PSU.   However, in upgrading the GPU for this machine, there are some cards that will not be compatible and will result in a black screen.    Even with a proper video card install, an adequate and/or upgraded power supply , the video card fans will be working, but there will be no video.   The problem lies in the BIOS for the XPS 8500 motherboard not recognizing the video card and this is a known issue that has carried over from the XPS 8300 to the current XPS 8500. 

There have been video BIOS upgrades from some card makers to correct this problem for certain cards, but there are a lot of legacy cards that won't work.  Safest bet would be to use a newer card with the PCI 3.0 spec.

In the sticky in this forum a link to the current Dell drivers shows the following video cards that are supported with drivers for Windows 8:

Video

GeForce GT 545 | GTX660 | GTX555 | GeForce GTS450 | GeForce GTX 590 | GeForce GTX 460 | GTX680 | GeForce GTX 580 | GeForce GTX 560 Ti | GTX 480 | GTX690 http://downloads-us.dell.com/FOLDER00753042M/3

Geforce GT 620 | Geforce GT640 | nVidia GT640 http://downloads-us.dell.com/FOLDER00736734M/3

AMD HD7570 http://downloads-us.dell.com/FOLDER00746666M/6/

Radeon HD 6990 | Radeon HD7870 | Radeon HD 6950 | Radeon HD 5870 | Radeon HD 6770 | Radeon HD 5970 | Radeon HD7770 | Radeon HD 5770 | Radeon HD 6870 | Radeon HD7950 http://downloads-us.dell.com/FOLDER00749652M/3

Since these are Dell OEM cards that are being supported, there are also manufacturer specific issues where a given video card model may or may not work depending on its configuration.  Whereas a XFX HD 6870 will work in the XPS 8500, the same card made by another manufacturer may not work.

Please keep this in mind when doing GPU and PSU upgrades and hopefully BIOS upgrades in the future will address these issues.

It would be helpful if you have a SPECIFIC card that does or doesn't work, to post the manufacturer and complete model number in this thread.

OS and Bios information also would be helpful, and if you are using the Dell PSU or an upgrade power supply.  Specific model please!

Edit:

Please include following and any other helpful information

Graphic card manufacturer and model number:

Bios:

Operating System:

Power supply manufacturer if not Dell 460w PSU :

Compatible:  Yes or No

Original card with system that worked:

30 Posts

December 11th, 2014 21:00

Graphics Card Manufacturer: HIS

Model: HIS R9 270x IceQ X^2 Boost Clock 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E DLDVI-I/HDMI/2xMini DP

Bios:T21G01.301

Operating System: Windows 7 Home

Power Supply: Default 460W works or EVGA 550W Bronze

Compatible:

NO for it used on a XPS 8300 with OY2MRG

Original Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700

December 14th, 2014 11:00

Can anyone confirm if this card works? www.amazon.com/.../ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1;psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

December 16th, 2014 17:00

Thanks for the advice! 

Just installed the  GTX 970 G1 with a 750W psu (corsair cx750), worked like a charm. 

The psu is huge but it did fit on the xps 8500 case with some work.  

December 16th, 2014 18:00

Wow, Corsair site says that the CX750 is only 5.5in or 140mm long, but it almost looks tighter than my EVGA (which was 165mm).  Maybe it's the shadows in your picture.  

Either way - Good find on another 750w PSU that fits:

www.corsair.com/.../cx750-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply

(It kind'a makes me wonder how I got one 15mm longer in the case!)

7 Posts

December 29th, 2014 09:00

KOEVEN,

Did you leave secure boot enabled?  I am about to do the same upgrade from a GTX660 (with UEFI bios upgrade and secure boot) and would prefer to not disable secure boot.

7 Posts

Did anyone else install a GTX970 with secure boot enabled as well?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Secure boot only works when the card has a certificate in bios and said card did not exist at the time of the machine being made.The same is true for Drivers that do not pass whql. Legacy is removed altogether with UEFI Class 3 bios.

63 Posts

December 29th, 2014 10:00

This is interesting.. . Thou I'm through upgrading my 435, it's a point of interest if I change the OS & switch around video cards. I do own a 970 card but it's in another machine. Humm. A new 970 is in the company in-box. Maybe I'll upgrade the 435 at the secretary's desk. Give the old gal something to be buzzed about. Hmm, I guess I can screw around later and check it out. I've got several pcie 2 & 3 sitting around. Nice. My days are planned. Thanks!

7 Posts

December 29th, 2014 13:00

I am running in Secure boot mode with a GTX 660 which did not exist when the Bios or computer was made.  

I do not believe there is a certificate for every individual card, but instead certificates for families of cards.  I will update thread after I get the GTX 970 up and running with my results.

7 Posts

December 29th, 2014 14:00

The UEFI certificate architechture in UEFI is not a 1 for 1 relationship.  It is setup like a CA with trusted root authorities.  The XPS 8500 contains a root certificate for EVGA (Dell shipped with a EVGA OEM card).  The presence of this root certificate allows EVGA cards containing a UEFI compatible bios that was signed by the root to boot in secure boot.  This is why my GTX 660 works.

Hope this makes sense.  

I will validate if the EVGA GTX 970 was signed with the same root certificate.

December 29th, 2014 15:00

Graphic card manufacturer and model number: Sapphire Radeon R9 280x Dual-x

Bios: A09

Operating System: Windows 8.1

Power supply manufacturer if not Dell 460w PSU: EVGA. EVGA 750w B

Compatible:  Yes!!!!!

Original card with system that worked:  AMD Radeon HD 7770

Additional Info: 

For this card, I recommend you get another case just because the card is so large. It isn't too hard to do an upgrade for the case. You just rewire everything that you wired to begin with. I recommend you watch newegg's part 2 of how to build a PC. The only problem you may have is the front panel connectors because dell doesn't give that info out. I can confirm that the pins will work if following th    diagram.

You cannot press and hold the power button to use the diagram though. The reset button does work.

63 Posts

December 29th, 2014 21:00

That's interesting. I had to deal with this i/o problem with several other Dell machines. I take pictures and (find some way to) color code the wires to the i/o slots before I take a Dell motherboard out. Was sort of a task looking for a schematic and ended by one test after another.

With some models, Dell doesn't provide bios updates after a it quits selling. ? Not sure if that's their selling strategy or not. Dell prioritizes certain things that make it  exclusively Dell. They'll never say it.

Manufacturers do that every once in a while. In a competitive market, whether its cars, computers or whatever, the main business is selling you a car or computer, not repairing or spare parts. So making them irreparable or difficult to repair and inexpensive to buy takes presidents.

When I need a board, I usually replace them with something like an Asus or Gigabyte board, start from scratch with software. The good thing about PCs; if it's ATX, it's ATX. The engine mounts are the same.

Dell prioritizes certain things that make it excusively Dell. 

December 29th, 2014 21:00

That's another thing. My case was missing a standoff for the "matx" board it was supposed to cover up all matx mounting points but did not. Regardless, It worked. I attempted to use the color coding method to figure out the pins but dell puts the front panel connectors all in one cable so it was virtually impossible for me to figure it out without destroying the entire case. But I went with the xps 8300 pin setup and it worked like a charm. Now, I have an airy case, a strong graphics card, and a high wattage PSU.

7 Posts

December 30th, 2014 16:00

Ok so here is the update for the XPS 8500.

Dell XPS 8500 / Vostro 470 System BIOS 
A12.EXE 
Release date 29 Oct 2013
Last Updated 31 Oct 2013
Version A12

Graphic card manufacturer and model: EVGA GTX970 SC

Graphic card model #  04G-P4-1972-KR

Operating System:  Windows 8.1 x64 with secureboot enabled and verified

Power supply manufacturer if not Dell 460w PSU :  Both Dell and Corsair CX750M

Compatible Yes

Previous card with system that worked:  EVGA GTX660 SC

Installation:

Powered off system, removed old card, replaced with new card and powered up.  New card was discovered and identified properly.  Reinstalled drivers just be on the safe side.  Verified secureboot was still enabled with msinfo32.

1 Message

January 1st, 2015 09:00

Graphic card manufacturer and model number: NVidia GeForce GTX970 Reference card

Bios: A12

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

Power supply manufacturer if not Dell 460w PSU : Corsair CX750M

Compatible:  Yes

Original card with system that worked:  NVidia GeForce GT640

This forum says the image is too big so heres the link:

http://gyazo.com/7801ce2f3f36c2c87f3bf731041f2afa

The reference card for the 970 is finally out.  You can get it at BestBuy.  There aren't many cable management options in this case so the best thing to do is to stuff the excess cables in the second optical drive slot.  The reference design helps keep everything cool because it blows all the hot air directly out the back.  Would recommend.

No Events found!