Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2014 20:00

XPS 8500 will not start

My XPS 8500 Desktop machine (will not start). I tried swapping the power supplies thinking that

Power supply unit is defective - but no luck.

When I connect the power cord, the green light at the back of the power supply does NOT light up.

However the Amber LED on the motherboard (near the 24 pin connectore) does remain lighted and SOLID AMBER.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

April 9th, 2014 23:00

I'm not a hardware expert.  But if it puts power to the mother board but the computer doesn't turn on and it were some generic clone I'd wonder if the switch on the case were bad, the wires were yanked, etc.  How you'd verify that I have no idea.

Good luck

April 10th, 2014 04:00

Hi zkheraj,

Disconnect all the peripherals and connect only the tower. Turn it on and check the power button status. Also at the back of the tower there is a small power supply button. When the power button on the front is on the PSU light at the back should also be on. If it's off then the PSU might be faulty.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2014 08:00

Hello Shrikanth

I tried to disconnect all the peripherals. I tried to swap the power supply. The machine will not boot.

I do not even hear the POST beeps.

Is there any way I can bypass the power button switch and jump directly on the motherboard ?

Anywhere I can find the schematic information for the XPS 8500 motherboard ?

Thanks

Zul

6 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 19:00

If your CPU supports integrated graphics try removing the graphics card and running off the mainboard.

No Events found!