Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 16th, 2017 04:00

XPS_8700_BIOS_A12.EXE ??

Hi,

Is it likely that Dell will produce version 12 of a bios in the forseeable future - if so any guesses when?
I am feeling limited by the 3Tb max HDD size and hope this will allow a reasonable increase say to above 6Tb.
I know I can add other drives, NAS etc.. but I'd  prefer to plan my moves rather than just a knee jerk reaction..

Anyone have thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Pete

[ System: Dell XPS8700 mid 2013 (UK)  ]

371 Posts

September 17th, 2017 16:00

Yes. In my referenced post the  one labeled Toshiba5 is the internal drive to which I was refering. It's been installed and operating normally for several years.

As to your other two questions

1.) I would think that if there was such a limitation the drive simply would either fail to format/initialize or not format to it's full capacity.

2.) I have never heard of a difference but, I'm no authority on UK Dell models. I can't imagine it would be the case.

As to why Dell would tell you this I can only speculate that with the huge number of different systems they have offered over the years some incorrect information, possibly related to another product, got in the support scripts for the 8700. The phone staff can only read what they're given. Rarely are they personally familiar with the systems for which they are providing support.

371 Posts

September 16th, 2017 13:00

Out of curiosity, is this 3TB limit you mention a boot drive limitation? The reason I ask is I have an XPS8700 "SE" with a 5TB drive that works fine. Not the boot drive however. I put screen shots in this post.

en.community.dell.com/.../20019527

I can only speculate, based on my having owned several generations of Dell desktops but, I doubt strongly we will see any further BIOS updates for the 8700.

46 Posts

September 16th, 2017 15:00

Hi Datapod

Thanks very helppful...

I checked your posting and that gives me some hope to expand capacity.

Could you confirm it was the Toshiba shown in the post as an internal 5Tb SATA  drive?

So, just before my extended support ran out, I rang Dell support to specifically ask the question about putting in a larger HDD, i.e. would it work or would I need a BIOS update?.

They said there was a 3Tb limit on each drive. I have a 256Gb SSD for C which is enough, and a 2Tb HDD for D which needs expanding.

If I remember correctly, I think they also said that the bios limitation would not apply to external devices which have their own (whatever/controller?/bios?)

I guess I now am asking myself do I risk buying a 6Tb drive and fit it and gamble it works..(but why did they then say 3Tb?).  So I am hesitant.

I also wonder how far I could 'push it' safely? e.g. risk more and try an 8tb, or 10Tb??

.....So, I think I need to ask around a bit more before I part with money for a drive.

Two quick questions if you have time...

1. If I fitted a larger HDD, what do I look for to pick up early signs of problems which are the result of fitting a drive which is too big? i.e. SMART information? Formatting not being able to complete, Chkdsk picking up errors?  

Do you have any suggestions please?

2.  I have never heard of any difference between the US and UK X8700 models that might affect capacity, or any other aspects of the XPS8700, have you/anyone?

Pete

46 Posts

September 18th, 2017 02:00

Thanks again Datapod, your thoughts are much appreciated.

One last question if I may...

Suppose I got, say, a 10Tb SATA drive and it didn't work as an internal drive.

a.  Could simply buy one of those external cases with PSU and a USB3 lead and it would work?

b.  Am I right in thinking that simply attatching a SATA cable to the new drive in an external case -  and then connecting it to the mobo of the Dell - is exactly the same as fitting it inside the Dell. i.e.  It will not work because it is using the Dell BIOS?

The reason I ask is that I don't want to get saddled with a drive I can't use, and it would probablyt be more cost effective to buy a NAS with both USB and Ethernet connections.

Pete

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

September 18th, 2017 11:00

If the usb3 to sata Bridge chipset is new enough yes.  Otherwise No.  If it does not say works with 8TB and larger drive its likely never going to work.

This dock for example I would say works fine.  Some early units will have 2TB limitation.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-10Gbps-Upright-cables-supports/dp/B01E80N2E8/

No Events found!