Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2015 16:00

XPS 8700 - Cannot register system and missing Dell programs

My XPS 8700 is just over one month old.  My hard drive has been replaced because the ON button needed to be pressed 3 or  times for the computer to boot up.

The technician has been out twice.  The first time he took the computer away and replaced the hard drive.  When I got the computer back, he had loaded Windows 8.1 instead of 10.  Initially, I was told that I would have to upgrade to Windows 10 myself.  No, I said, I bought the computer with Windows 10 already installed.  So a second visit to pick up the computer, take it back to the workshop to install Windows 10.

I expected the technician would give me back a computer that was just like the one I gave him, save for the faulty drive - same apps etc.

Now, I want my computer to be just like it was when it came out of the factory.  All the Dell apps are missing, Cyberlink Media Suite is missing.  So, I tried to register my computer with Dell to download and re-install software that came via digital delivery - Adobe Photoshop Elements and McAfee.  I was unable to re-install McAfee from the McAfee website.

When I click on Register System (smartsource.dell.com/.../RegisterSystem.aspx), nothing happens.  Download History says there is No Download History even though I download and installed Adobe and McAfee when I first got the computer.

Dell phone support was able, after a lot of trouble, to download and install McAfee and Adobe.  She was unable to register my computer.

I had hardly used the computer so I don't know what else is missing.

The first thing I did when I first got the computer in August was try to create a recovery drive (USB stick) but that failed on numerous occasions.

How can I find out all the apps that were on my computer when it came from the factory and how can I register my system.

No Responses!
No Events found!