Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2014 12:00

XPS 8700 Case/Fans

Hello,

I have recently noticed, after installing new RAM and a GPU, that my XPS 8700 is running a bit hot (75-80deg when heavily taxed). I wish to add an additional fan or two, but I have a few questions first:

1. Is it possible to install a new fan? As in, does the motherboard have a space for it? What type would it accept?

2. Is there a space to install the new fan near a vent?

3. If the above two answers are 'no', what are my other options, excluding buying a new case? I don't want to buy a new one, but I really need to get the cooling to do a better job.

Thanks in advance.

5 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 12:00

It appears that all of the liquid coolers have 120mm or larger fans and mounts.  The XPS 8700 case will only accept a 90mm fan, so I would say liquid cooling is out of the question.  You could try a better CPU fan and heat sink assembly, but there's no telling how much better it would be than the one that's already there.  The fan at the rear pulls outside air through the case from the front opening, and through the vent holes on the side.  The CPU fan pulls some of this air down through the heat sink fins, and the power supply fan pulls some up through the power supply and out the rear.  There is room behind the front opening to mount another fan to help pull in air, but there is no existing mount.  You would have to fabricate a mount.  At this point I say just make sure the lower front of the case, the vent holes on the side, and the rear of the case aren't obstructed in any way.  I wish I could be more help.

5 Posts

Hello Zero275,

I have 15 XPS 8700's at my business, and there is no additional place to mount an extra fan.  So I suggest you change your cpu cooler to a sealed liquid cooler like the Corsair Hydro series H60.  (about $70)  That should drop you back to the 55-65 degree range or better.

5 Posts

Just to make sure, the case of the XPS is compatible with the Corsair Hydro H60? Would I be removing the fans already in my machine to replace them with this?

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2014 16:00

Yes, the fan at the rear of the case and the CPU fan are removed.  The H60 comes with a radiator and a fan that mount in back where the original fan was mounted.  The source of most internal heat is the CPU, but with liquid cooling that heat is transferred to the radiator and expelled instantly.  You can also mount a second fan on the opposite side of the radiator (push-pull) for even better circulation.  The pump and fans can be powered by the unused drive power plugs from the computer power supply.

5 Posts

By the way, the Corsair H60 is just an example.  There are many of these units available from different manufacturers.  If you do a little web research, you may find something else that would work better.

5 Posts

So, essentially, by purchasing the H60 (or another comparable model), I'd be able to install it directly into the 8700 without purchasing any other adapters, etc? Sorry for the inquisition, but I'm trying to be precise so I don't order something that ends up sitting there while I wait for other parts -_-

And, when you mentioned the other fan installation, would it be the same size as the H60 exhaust fan in the back? If I simply ordered one, would that be 'plug and play' as well?

5 Posts

December 3rd, 2014 11:00

Everything should be pretty much plug and play.  The cooler has to fit the CPU, so if your CPU is like mine it is a socket LGA1150 (4th generation Intel processor).  The cooler specs will say what it fits.  As far as the second fan goes, your existing fan may be usable for that.  Let me investigate a little and get back to you before you buy anything.

No Events found!