Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2014 04:00

XPS 8700 Front USB Port Issue

Hi guys,

Just  a quick one, I seem to be having a weird issue with the front USB 3 ports on my XPS 8700.

If I plug a flash drive into any of the USB ports it is recognised as being removable and the safely remove hardware icon is present. When plugged into the front USB 3.0 ports however, there is no such option.

I've tried all the USB reset options and links I could find on the net, but alas the issue persists. Somewhere is was mentioned that the removal policy for the front ports could be incorrect, which I have confirmed with a USB info tool.

Where and/or how can I go about changing this setting to enable the safely remove icon to be present when using the front USB ports?

Thanks in advance.

332 Posts

June 5th, 2014 03:00

Hi Bsharma1,

We do see that you are facing the same concern with the front USB ports,I would like to know if u have followed all the steps suggested previously.

If not, please Follow the steps from the thread again and let us know your findings.

Also please private message me the service tag of the system.

10 Posts

June 5th, 2014 07:00

Hi DixieEliop,

Please private message me the service tag of the system as we have raised this with our engineering team.

I am a new, first time Community board user (thanks to this XPS8700 bug) and it seems that your board messaging system will not allow me to either PM you, nor will it allow me to send you a Friending request (with the service tag). How should I proceed?

190 Posts

June 5th, 2014 09:00

Hi Tvanpool,

We do see that you are facing the same concern with the front USB ports ,I would like to know if u have   followed all the steps suggested previously.

If not, please Follow the steps from the thread again and let us know your findings.

Also please private message me the service tag of the system.

Farooq, absolutely no disrespect meant, but why are you asking everyone to do this when the few that did do it report no change? What are you looking for or suspect?

There are enough reports here that this should be suspected as a REAL problem.

I for one think this is a s/w problem or an h/w cabling interface on the 2 front USB 3.0 ports.

Let me explain why, and I hope you can PASS this info onto someone who has the capability to reproduce this problem and investigate further.

First of all, the fee based program, USB SAFELY REMOVE (http://safelyremove.com/index.html) does recognize the device and can turn it off, however, it does report the DRIVER can not!

Here is what my Cruzer 2.0 Flashdrive as it sees it in the front USB 3.0 port screen capture:

The drive is clearly seen. Opening the Safely Remove H/W (RMB on the icon in the Systray) shows NO devices attached (the complaint here).

Now I click on the device to safely remove it and this pops up:

I states "THE DRIVER DOESN'T", so I might assume that the driver used to handle the FRONT USB 3.0 ports is the culprit, or the s/w that reads the cable? Note again, that SAME device inserted in one of the REAR USB 3.0 ports does REGISTER in Safely Remove H/W (as everyone so far has told you) port and can be safely removed.

Now with the above info, WHY is this not verified as a true defect and be worked on to correct?

10 Posts

June 5th, 2014 10:00

U3 Drives are not standard drives.  This is not a Dell issue.

Thanks for the old info on U3. I am well aware of that problem. Unfortunately that well-documented, well-known U3 issue has absolutely nothing to do with the XPS8700's front USB issue being reported in this forum. The front USB port issue occurs with non-U3 (SanDisk) devices - actually it occurs with any device that "should be" engaging the Windows "USB Device Detection" & "USB Device Removal" features. So - No disrespect, but this is very much a Dell issue - whether it be Dell's fault directly or the fault of their supplier for the front USB subcomponent & and associated Windows driver(s) - ultimately this "Bug" is obviously and wholly Dell's issue.

190 Posts

RockStar, bad choice of Flash Drives here. I had 2 handy and chose the U3 (which I don't use on W8, just the 'other drive letter').

Here is the same info from a USB 2.0 PNY 8GB flash drive:

So now that it is a STANDARD USB 2.0 Flash drive, does this help determine THIS is a problem?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

U3 Drives are not standard drives.  This is not a Dell issue.

The latest U3 Launchpad as of December 2009 is version 1.6.3.9.  This version is compatible with Windows 7. There has been no update for Windows 8.

U3 is designed to run application from the flash drive.

So Malware does the same.

Microsoft's response to this was to disable autorun for any program.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3682/~/u3-launchpad-update-for-windows-7

WARNING: Before uninstalling or updating the U3 Launchpad, please manually backup your data.

Note: For Ultra Backup flash drive, we recommend migrating to the Ultra Backup Standalone version of the application which does not require U3.

NOTE: Cruzer Titanium Plus (SDCZ28-004G) is not supported on Windows 7 or Windows 8.

NOTE: U3 programs are no longer available for download from SanDisk. U3 programs already installed on your drive will be preserved if you use the 'Backup Data' option during installation. You can also copy the 'system' and 'documents' folders into the data partition from your own data backup to restore your programs.

Things to check for before updating:

1. Password protection must be disabled.
Please DISABLE password protection, If password protection is ENABLED, see instructions on how to disable password protection, then proceed with update.

2. Device version
If the Device Version on your flash drive is 2.17, 2.18, 2.19 or 2.20, you will NEED to run the U3 LP Installer in a Windows XP environment to do an update.

If you attempted to update the U3 Launchpad under a Windows 7 environment and is now experiencing errors, see answer ID 4432

Checking the Device Version
1. Open U3 Launchpad.

2. Mouse over Help and Support, and then click on About U3 Smart Drive.
3. Check the Device Version.

Once all of these information is verified, see Installing U3 Launchpad

7 Posts

June 5th, 2014 11:00

Yes I have tried all suggestions with no success. I cannot PM you so here is my service tag (BZMGJ02)

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 5th, 2014 11:00

The devices you are plugging into the front port demand too much power. 100 Ma Mice and Keyboards work fine.

The dialog box you are posting looks like malware and not from Microsoft or Dell.

USBSAFELYREMOVE Evaluation Version is not Dell Software and Not Supported Here or at Microsoft. USB Safely Remove is an unauthorized buggy replacement for the Microsoft Windows safe removal tool.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182176

Connecting your USB external device into a non-powered USB hub on the front port can cause a lack of enough power to operate the device. Instead, plug it into a powered hub.

This will also cause "A driver for this device has been disabled.  An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)". 

One can also try deleting all the USB Mass Storage controllers in Device Manager and reboot to rebuild them.

Dell does not support Sandisk or PNY etc.

10 Posts

June 5th, 2014 12:00

The devices you are plugging into the front port demand too much power. 100 Ma Mice and Keyboards work fine.

If this were completely correct and true, the connected storage device would simply not work properly - but it does, except for Windows device connection detection and removal management. As I previously stated in my earlier post, Windows Explorer can be used to access the storage device - transfer files to and from the device - all without encountering any transfer errors or data corruption. Also - This issue occurs no matter what type of "storage oriented device" is connected to either of the two Front USB ports. For example, using an externally powered "Seagate Expansion 2TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (modelSTBV2000100)" gives the exact same "No Detect - No Safe Remove" results. Your persistence on this matter causes me to question your actual knowledge on this particular (XPS-8700) model's Front USB port issues - Are you yourself actually using one (or more) of this particular model Dell (XPS-8700) computer? - And if so, please state for us what (brand & model) storage device does work correctly (for you) with (your) XPS-8700's Front USB ports...

190 Posts

June 5th, 2014 14:00

Connecting your USB external device into a non-powered USB hub on the front port can cause a lack of enough power to operate the device. Instead, plug it into a powered hub.

Then PLEASE explain why these VERY SAME devices operate properly (shows in Safely Remove h/w and puts up the dialog box asking what you want to do with the device?) when plugged into the READ USB 3.0 ports?

Why does USB 3.0 devices work properly in the front 2 USB 3.0 ports but NOT USB 2.0?

I have numerous USB 2.0 flashdrives at my disposal. ALL, everyone of them exhibit the same problem when plugged into the front USB 3.0 port. ALL are useable in ALL USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, it is ONLY the front 2 USB 3.0 ports that exhibit the problem.

I have 3 USB 2.0 External POWERED drives. Same goes for ALL of them, usable in ALL ports, but in the FRONT 2 USB 3.0 ports they exhibit the SAME problem as the flashdrives.

I have ONE USB 3.0 External Drive, and it works fine on ALL ports.

Why are you trying to tell us that we don't have a problem? Have you read the entire thread? How could X number of people have the same problem yet it isn't a problem?

I have an XPS8500 my wife uses with both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. I supposed you are not interested in these SAME devices working OK on the machine?

There is a problem, deal with it, and so should the Dell support people here rather than having us jump through hoops that are not worth anything?

Dell Support has been on this computer and can't figure it out either, but the answer was the front ports are not for USB 2.0 devices. BS, USB 3.0 is BACKWARDS compatible. Same goes for USB 3.0 devices plugged into 2.0 ports. They work at the speed of the device or port, depending which it is plugged into.

If you want to help, great. Try it on an XPS 8700 and see if you can figure out what 'we' might be doing wrong, but don't blame it on the devices please. Don't say Dell doesn't support "XYZ" product either as I've never seen any list that states the makes of flash drives one can use.

Oh, in my case Dell did delete the drivers and that didn't fix the problem. They even got 'new' Renesas USB 3.0 drivers from Intel to no avail. It can't be Windows versions either as both W8 and W7 has the problem. Either Dell driver s/w or Intel's, or possibly a cable or motherboard problem, but NOT device themselves problems.

I am glad you are here to help, maybe you have some power to steer Dell support the right way.

190 Posts

June 5th, 2014 14:00

This issue occurs no matter what type of "storage oriented device" is connected to either of the two Front USB ports. For example, using an externally powered "Seagate Expansion 2TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (modelSTBV2000100)" gives the exact same "No Detect - No Safe Remove" results.

Hmm, I've got a Seagate Expansion Desktop Drive, 2TB's, USB 3.0 Model SRD00F2, and that DOES work correctly in the front USB 3.0 ports. Shows in Safely Remove HW. and opens Windows Explorer when plugged in?

I wonder if this is the 'new' Intel USB 3.0 Renesas drivers they installed when I called in and they tried to 'fix' this?

10 Posts

June 5th, 2014 16:00

I wonder if this is the 'new' Intel USB 3.0 Renesas drivers they installed when I called in and they tried to 'fix' this?

Possibly so - AFAIK, this XPS-8700 is still using the original "Out-Of-Box" Dell factory installed drivers. Since we seem to be getting nowhere here, and we've been forewarned about how contacting Dell tech support is just a waste of time, I've spent some time doing my own research on the issue - and I'm seeing way too many reports of this specific XPS-8700 problem posted all over the Internet searches - and it appears to have been going on for a while (going back to 2013) - All reports I've seen indicate no solution and Dell being unresponsive to the issue and unhelpful when asked for assistance. This XPS-8700 was special ordered from Costco Online. Their policy allows a 90-day no questions asked return (to any convenient Costco Warehouse) for an in-full cash refund. If the "bug" is not resolved before then, this system goes back to Costco and I'll look to another equipment vendor instead.

10 Posts

June 5th, 2014 18:00

I wonder if this is the 'new' Intel USB 3.0 Renesas drivers they installed?

FWIW, Your earlier message regarding your concern that allowing KB2919355 might have caused the problem - combined with Dell's message suggesting that the system should be restored to as-shipped factory OS-load state - prompted me to not permit any MS updates to download and install on this new XPS-8700 until the cause of this issue was determined and somehow addressed. But your last post to me about Dell tech support updating the Renesas driver on your system got me searching again and discovering that those drivers are already included within Win8, and can only be downloaded (from Intel) for Win7. Problem is, what version are they in the currently installed (yet unpatched) Win8.1 factory OS? So figuring I had nothing to loose at this point, I tried allowing the current MS Win8.1 updates (including KB2919355) to download and install. Bottom line - the Front USB ports are now working properly with USB 3.0 storage devices - but still not correctly with USB 2.0 storage devices... So at least it's a partial win. Obviously there is still an issue with the front ports (and I'm thinking it's driver related) when it comes to working correctly with pre-USB 3.0 devices - but I can live with this "as-is" for now. And hopefully a subsequent driver update (from either MS or Dell) will fix the 2.0 (and probably 1.0 too) part of the issue as well.

190 Posts

June 5th, 2014 18:00

This XPS-8700 was special ordered from Costco Online. Their policy allows a 90-day no questions asked return (to any convenient Costco Warehouse) for an in-full cash refund. If the "bug" is not resolved before then, this system goes back to Costco and I'll look to another equipment vendor instead.

Nothing wrong with doing that. However the 8700 is a nice system and the price point is nice too.

Although I do not like this problem, it can be worked around usually. Not that that makes it a reason not to fix it, just it isn't limiting my use of the computer and it doesn't crash because of this.

I'd sure feel better though it Dell would own up to the problem and say they expect to have a fix by a specific date. I wonder if the Dell Service agreement would consider this a lemon and replace the system? However if all you got was another one that was reconditioned with no fix anyway that would be a waste of time. I had a Dell a long time ago, an XPS Gen 3, probably 2002 or so. The fans would just take off occasionally and it would sound like a hair dryer and not return to normal speed until the computer was re-booted. Dell replaces some fans, and then the motherboard, and then I had to wait for a new BIOS. Did not fix it and they replaced the computer with what was selling then, a Gen5, with better spec's. If this is a systemic problem however I can't see Dell replacing large quantities of 8700's? Hopefully someone is working on this and it will be fixed, soon.

190 Posts

June 6th, 2014 05:00

But your last post to me about Dell tech support updating the Renesas driver on your system got me searching again and discovering that those drivers are already included within Win8, and can only be downloaded (from Intel) for Win7. Problem is, what version are they in the currently installed (yet unpatched) Win8.1 factory OS? So figuring I had nothing to loose at this point, I tried allowing the current MS Win8.1 updates (including KB2919355) to download and install. Bottom line - the Front USB ports are now working properly with USB 3.0 storage devices - but still not correctly with USB 2.0 storage devices... So at least it's a partial win.

This is interesting.

I have another problem not solved, media slot reload the drivers on every boot, green bars on the taskbar, and that is what they were trying to solve when they got those drivers for me from Intel. Part of the driver package is a USB 3.0 Controller. I noticed it after Dell left my computer. Tried running it and it wouldn't, no errors, just that nothing opened. When I discovered the USB 2.0 problem I tried running that again, maybe it didn't have a GUI and had to run. Didn't help. So I went looking for the drivers and discovered like you did, they are for W7 but no W8 version. I decided to try deleting that from Add/Remove and see what happens. I've seen no difference with it removed, it works the same way with the same error. I assume the drivers are still the same as before?

No Events found!