Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2016 02:00

XPS 8700 GPU upgrading and SATA cord problems

Hi, I have a Dell XPS 8700 with Windows 10, and was trying to upgrade my PC from a stock NVIDIA GT 720 that it came with to a PNY GeForce GTX 960 2GB, but because of the card size, the SATA cords for the DVD drive and hard drive aren't long enough to go around the card and plug into the motherboard. Do I need to buy new SATA cables and where can I buy them (in store preferred)?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 10th, 2016 08:00

If you cannot route the current SATA cables to utilize them, then you will need to purchase them locally. In what country and city are you in?

1.2K Posts

October 10th, 2016 08:00

try routing the cable under the card. It might work.

If not, use the DVD cable for the HDD and buy one for the DVD.

You can buy these almost anywhere. You didn't say where you are located. Best buy has them.

online will be cheaper so if you can do without your DVD for a few days, you can get a 3 pack for less than one at best buy in store.

3 Posts

October 10th, 2016 14:00

I live in Portland, Oregon, and I've asked others if I did need to buy them.

3 Posts

October 10th, 2016 14:00

I've tried to route them under the card, but the card's size made it unable to route to the motherboard. Does it matter where the SATA cords route to on the motherboard as well? I live in Portland, Oregon.

893 Posts

October 10th, 2016 19:00

Hi

You have 3 Best Buy stores and one Frys store. Frys have a lot of SATA cables (this one is 2 feet for an example) in stock, Best Buy just a few, if you can go to Wilsonville Frys, you can get there what ever you need.

Online like Amazon or newegg pricing is about the same as Frys.

Just another 2 cents.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 10th, 2016 21:00

You can buy them at Best Buy, Walmart, or Staples. You just need to route them so that they are out of the way of other components.

No Events found!