Highlighted
4 Beryllium

RE: XPS 8700, GTX 970/980, Black Screen on Boot

My theory is that a handfull of users (I won't name them but I have a fairly good idea who they are) are already testing the bios in secrecy.

It might be true, but I'm not one.

I suspect the delay is due to a large (but still not comprehensive) regression test of various hardware combinations combined with a BIOS update that might not have been planned competing for test resources  both human and hardware.

Step back a little and look at what Dell should test before they release a new BIOS. Who knows how much testing they really do but look at the variables.

There are at least 5 cpus that have shipped in 8700s.  i5 4430, 4440, and 4460, and two i7s 4770 and 4790. A bunch of Graphics cards that Chris M has listed many times. A handful of different HDDs, a few SSDs, some with SRT cache, and some as full-on SSD boot drives. different DVDRs and Blu Ray ODDs.  At some pont they updated the WiFi card and then there are the numerous types and quantities of memory that they have shipped.

There's no way Dell will test each and every combination, but I expect they need to test a bunch to ensure they BIOS will work for systems they have already shipped. 

So we wait. Middle of Dec is just a few weeks away.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

My theory is that a handfull of users (I won't name them but I have a fairly good idea who they are) are already testing the bios in secrecy.
* That is incorrect.

large storage and easy expandability, so you can be ready for anything.
* I admit that is an ambiguous statement. The word expandability is referencing the previous large storage verbiage. The main sales site states, "and lots of expandable storage space.". Notice the word choice, expandable. Then once on the XPS 8700 page, it states, "The XPS 8700 has blazing-fast 4th Gen Intel Core processors, Windows 8.1, large storage and easy expandability, so you can be ready for anything.". That is a carry over of the first statement about storage space.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

It is important to note that statistical sampling reveals less than 1% of systems in the world use a GTX 900 series NVIDIA GPU, so is it really financially viable to prioritise this ahead of other things in a company that serves various sectors on a worldwide scale?

Sampling performed by whom? And keep in mind that the 900 series GPU has been out for barely two months, so its not surprising that it hasn't overtaken the entire market. The GeForce class of GPUs is a major chunk the GPU market as a whole and arguably dominates the desktop discrete GPU market. Any manufacturer of desktop PCs is going to want to maintain compatibility with each new generation of the GeForce chips as they come out. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@JONAS200

If you're not a Dell employee, then I need to get fresh air. emoticon.Ick.title

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@ Chris

"The word expandability is referencing the previous large storage verbiage"

I knew it would come to this. Reality deformed and mangled. Thanks for proving my point more and more each and every time Chris.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

@ Jonas,

I would say, that until now, it hasn't been particularly important for Dell to support top end graphics boards, the one or 2 generations back intermediate ones they have supported have been OK for the large majority of users who selected Dell.

Among other things high end video boards needed really big power supplies and cooling to support the power hungry video boards.

And generally, Dell CPUs weren't up to the task either.

So Gamers and video editiong pros bought systems targeted to their specific tasks.

But now the I7 CPUs are powerful enough and the 970/980 chip is truly a game changer,

Mainly it doesn't suck huge amounts of power or require hurricane level cooling.

And it's even relatively cheap.

This all does 2 things, for gamers, it means the Dell is now a viable platform.

And for other people wanting to do higher end graphics with 4K monitors it really means the 970/980 is the video chip of choice.

Over this next year, the 970/980 chip (and the upgraded similar chips by the other manufacturers) are going to take over the video cards in almost all computers.

If it isn't using the brain dead built in graphics it will be using a 970/980 or its new equivalent.

With the 970/980 chip Nvidia changed the ball game forever. 

I'm not sure even they realize that yet.

Best,

Gary

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

System Model = XPS 8700
Bios = A08
Power Supply = Corsair TX 650 (650W)
Video Card = GIGABYTE G1 GeForce GTX 970 4GB

I appreciate Chris from dell is being proactive to solve this overwhelming issue. I understand dell must allocate resources from multiple departments in order to solve it. Dell can not update their bio/driver every month like Nvidia, because Dell is a manufacturing/retailing business not the one who design the chip. 

On the other hand, most customers have certain degree of expectation of compatibility when they choose to purchase a computer. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

I was just trying to clarify the sales site verbiage in a logical, courteous manner.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Well I ordered an xps 8700 with an i7, 16gb ram and a gtx 745. I'm planning to buy a gtx 970. I'm not complaining yet, but if this bios update is not released in mid December like Chris said, then im going to complain. Also, does the gtx 970 easily fit in the case?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Well I ordered an xps 8700 with an i7, 16gb ram and a gtx 745. I'm planning to buy a gtx 970. I'm not complaining yet, but if this bios update is not released in mid December like Chris said, then im going to complain. Also, does the gtx 970 easily fit in the case?

Gigabyte does fit in but barely....     I would suggest MSI because they are smaller than gigabyte..(3 big fans).   So u can check gigabytes dimension size. And compare with other video card..    It does heat up the tower and you might would like to add another fan for your case.    I hope it helps

0 Kudos