Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: XPS 8700, GTX 970/980, Black Screen on Boot

Just for reference, my card doesn't click either... it fits in fine and works fine with the temp fix as well. Whenever I have to do the workaround I just pull it a bit from the top and leave it laying there while I do the process.  With these larger cards, I've always found getting to that pin to be a nightmare, so I'm actually glad it doesn't click.

JoseQ

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@ok9

I checked the specifications of both of our cards and they are identical in thickness as both are 43mm exactly. I can hear mine click but the retaining clip is hidden a little behind the backplate of the card so I was wondering if you had heard a clicking noise like I do when installing mine.

I had previously looked with a flashlight myself and it seems like it was fully seated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@JoseQ

What card do you have?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have the ASUS STRIX GTX970 (Asus STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC 4GD5)

When I initially put it in and it didn't work, I went and got this one:

Gigabyte GV-N970WF3OC-4GD

I found out about this thread after this, so I went back and returned the Gigabyte since it was way noisier than the Asus.

They both fit in physically about the same; I never had to deal with the little knob at the bottom so I don't think either of them actually clicked into place, but they both worked with the workaround.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

can u tell me which one GTX970 is better ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Not to be a bother, but have you heard anything new Chris? restarting my computer is a long process as of right now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

can u tell me which one GTX970 is better ?

You won't get a definitive answer from us here. We all bought different cards (MSI, Asus, Gigabyte etc) because the one we chose was in our mind the better one. It's all a matter of taste for what you want yourself. Do you favor silence more than anything else? Overclocking? The best design in cooling? These are all important questions you need to ask yourself.

I would suggest for you to Google the same question you asked here and there you will be able to judge by yourself what is the feature you want more than the other and then make a sound decision.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

Techpowerup had good reviews, and they also have an index of other reviews. here are all the GTX-970's they care to list.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviewdb/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA/GTX-970/ 

The nVidia forum is also interesting to read about comments / complaints  and general feedback of on several of the cards in many different setups. 

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/155/geforce-900-series/

And, sometimes a forum not sponsored by a vendor can have interesting comments but keep in mind overclock might be a bit more hard core than what you'll ever be able to squeeze out of an 8700.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1514085/official-nvidia-gtx-970-owners-club

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Wow thanks guys for all those replies. I will hopefully get my 8700 tommarow or Friday based on what FedEx chooses. But what do you guys mean by the 970 doesn't click into place. I, plan on getting the MSI non gaming edition gtx 970 (blue) so it would be helpful if I could get some insight from you guys on how it would exactly fit and what the short SATA cable problem is all about. Thank you and everyone keep you fingers crossed for that bios.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Wow thanks guys for all those replies. I will hopefully get my 8700 tommarow or Friday based on what FedEx chooses. But what do you guys mean by the 970 doesn't click into place. I, plan on getting the MSI non gaming edition gtx 970 (blue) so it would be helpful if I could get some insight from you guys on how it would exactly fit and what the short SATA cable problem is all about. Thank you and everyone keep you fingers crossed for that bios.

You will not have any problem with the blue non gaming MSI because there is no backplate on it. I originally bought the red (gaming one) and returned it to get the Golden Edition and the red one was positively clicking because it is thinner by 7mm.

No problems with cables on mine as they are long enough. I have the Special Edition so maybe that's why but can't be sure about that.

0 Kudos