Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 12th, 2017 13:00

XPS 8700 - Games stuttering after upgrade

Hello, I had a XPS 8700, an old model to be honest. It had a GT635 1GB and an i7 4770k, 8GB RAM etc.

So, I've asked before in a few websites, including here about upgrading. I've bought a GTX 1050 2gb, and only that. I still have the MoBo from Dell and the processor that came with the computer.

So, from the day I bought the video card I'm suffering from a problem which I believe that is hardware related, because I have already tested almost everything. The upgrade was a perfect hit, I'm running almost every new game on favorable settings and perfomance. But the real problem is, in every game, even on the games which don't require high hardware, I'm suffering from stutters, freezes that occurs all the time and have a duration of 1 to 2 seconds. They happen every 5 seconds of playtime, and I've asked in more than 3 websites since the two last months (when I upgraded the GPU.) 

I don't think the GPU is the problem as I've tested on another computer and didn't have any problems. So I think it is related to my computer. Last week I ran dell complete diagnostic program and it didn't find any problems. Nothing is overheating when I monitor the temps. CPU Usage is normal too. Memory isn't the problem either, so my last resort is to ask here, and I hope you guys can help me. I've always been satisfied with Dell, and they support for upgrades. So I hope we can solve this.

August 12th, 2017 18:00

My BIOS is updated to A11 (I think it is the latest.), Drivers are all updated too. (I download the new updates in the same day they are launched.)

As I mentioned before, no sinal of overheating. Video card doesn't go up 65°C and CPU is 70°C~75°C

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 12th, 2017 18:00

Do you have all the latest drivers for video (both Intel and GTX 1050), chipsets, BIOS, etc.?

Go to the Support page for the XPS 8700 and pick the right version of Windows before downloading any new drives.

Any signs of overheating?

1.2K Posts

August 12th, 2017 19:00

how much nVidia bloatware is installed?  Win10 or Win81?

Without knowing more, my .02 would be to use RevoUninstaller and completely remove all traces of nVidia software, and then go to nvidia's driver download page and install the latest.

www.nvidia.com/.../Find.aspx

Only install the driver. Don't install the GeForce experience, auto updater and see how it does.

August 12th, 2017 20:00

There isn't any malware of NVIDIA installed, only the drivers plus control panel. Windows 10.

1.2K Posts

August 13th, 2017 14:00

Ok, just guessing at this point.

do you see anything in windoze event logs when the stuttering happens?

Are you using WiFi ( hopefully not for performance reasons).

If you are not using Wifi, so consider disabling the hardware device. I've had some issues with Win10 and the WiFi-BT cards on other Win10 systems.

can you try some stress tests using Cinebench ?

www DOT maxon.net/en/products/cinebench/

If you can reproduce the stuttering with a benchmarking tool it should be easier to isolate the problem than with a game which as many more moving parts.

You can run rending tests on either the CPU or the GPU.

I can compare your results to my non-Dell 4790K / GTX 970.

my 8700s are not at my location so I can't test those right now.

August 13th, 2017 17:00

Answering your questions, no, I don't use WiFi. I'll test the Cinebench, but how should I post the results?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 13th, 2017 20:00

Also open the Windows Power options screen. Identify the active Power plan and click link to change settings. On next screen, click link for Advanced Options.

Change the Intel video settings to maximize performance, and do same for your video card too. Also optimize the settings for processor power management, multimedia, and switchable dynamic graphics.

Be sure to save the changes before exiting the power plan.

August 14th, 2017 10:00

Everything is set to maximum perfomance, including the GPU on NVIDIA Control Panel. Also, I've had problems with this power managment before, it would drop my framerate when It was on energy saving mode.

1.2K Posts

August 14th, 2017 19:00

to answer the questions on cinebench, just run it and see if it stutters. It should be a fairly fluid rendering of artwork for the CPU test, and a car scene. Just watch it.

You can also run some of the other benchmarks like heaven or valley from Unigine. If these are smooth, then it kindof rules out the video card or driver.

8 Posts

August 16th, 2017 22:00

Hello SK,

Make sure that W10 hasn't decided for you the driver(s) it want's you to have as opposed to the one(s) you want. That's the one and only reason why I won't switch over to W10. I very much dis-like the idea of someone at MS deciding for me the driver(s) I want and know I want. There is too much Automatic *** with W10. They like to tell people what a good OS it is but for some reason they don't think the person(s) that buy their O.S. is smart enough to decide for themselves what they want and need.

Come on MS get with the program people are not as dumb as you make us out to be, that we need your OS automatically doing things for us behind our backs.

IDIOTS!!!!

August 17th, 2017 15:00

I've run valley, superposition and cinebench, neither did stutter. Just Cause 3, Watch Dogs 2 and GTA V are impossible to play atm.

1.2K Posts

August 17th, 2017 16:00

One more question. What monitor ( exact brand and model and resolution), what kind of video cable ( DVI/HDMI/DP ?). the video cable probably doesn't matter of Valley and Cinebench looked good.

I'm still guessing at this point, and going from memory because right now I'm on a Win7 non gaming system and don't have the screens to look at...

If you go into the nVidia control panel, can you find the game listed and the settings used for the game?

I vaguely remember there is a choice to use global settings, or to adjust settings per program. If you override the gaming settings, can you dial back the eye-candy?  

Things like Anti-aliasing, shader quality, shadow quality, textures etc.  Dial them way back and see if the stuttering improves.

No Events found!