Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2017 18:00

XPS 8700 HDD SSD Cache reports multiple errors

It appears I need to replace the 32GB SSD in my computer, as the Intel RST reports multiple repeat failures in the drive. I purchased a replacement SSD, but when I installed it, the system failed to find a boot drive, so obviously I'm missing something. Can someone please list the steps to replacing the SSD? Apparently the SSD has a role in the boot process. Or I'm just overlooking a step (or two). 

Thank you,

Peter Morris

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 31st, 2017 16:00

BIOS is set to RAID to use that SSD as a cache, so you're probably going to have to rebuild the RAID array since some of the Windows files were on the old drive.

Try this with new SSD installed, reboot and press Ctrl-I (letter "i").  If that opens the Intel RAID Manager, look for the option to rebuild the array.

If that doesn't work and/or somebody else doesn't post a work-around, you may have to reinstall Windows, so I hope your files are backed up on external media.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

December 31st, 2017 08:00

December 31st, 2017 15:00

Thanks for the link. I guess I wasn't clear. I already physically removed and replaced the 32GB SSD cache with a new one. The problem came after I booted up... the computer reported it could not find a boot drive. (So I reinstalled the original SSD so I could use the computer.) Clearly, some aspect of the boot process on my system is dependent on something to do with the 32 GB SSD cache. My original question was regarding how to get the system to operate with the replacement cache. Thanks.

January 3rd, 2018 13:00

Unfortunately, while I can get into the Intel RAID manager (pressing F12 on boot), it does not display a Rebuild option, only Create. So. Not quite sure where to go from here. If I understand you and what I've been looking at, I need to get a clean 2TB drive,  back up my C-drive to it, then R&R the SSD cache. Then on booting up, press F12 and select create a RAID drive pairing the SSD and the existing C-drive, which presumably the RAID Manager will repartition?. Then reinstall Win 10 and all the programs. Then I can copy back all the data files from the backed up C-drive. Is that correct?  Oh, joy.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 18:00

You can try the Create option...

Let me ping one of the Windows installation gurus...

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 4th, 2018 04:00

I would advise Data Recovery using the likes of Fedora Linux to copy your important files across to an external hard drive:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/data-recovery-using-fedora/ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arX7DUWGCvM 

After that you can clean install Windows 10 Version 1709. 

January 4th, 2018 09:00

Thanks for the suggestion. However, there is no problem recovering the data on my HDD. All I have to do is keep the problematic SSD installed while popping out one of the other 2 HDDs and installing a new 2TB HDD and copying over at least the data files. I could use use the copy of (or an updated copy) of PCMover, which I already  have to attempt to keep the system files intact. No, the real frustration is just the time involved in getting it all done. If that's the only way to go. This all started with a crash when the cache started acting up, and I had to use the Restore option to reinstall Windows at that time, necessitating the re-installation of all my programs. To have to do it all again... ugh. 8-(

January 4th, 2018 12:00

Thank you

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 4th, 2018 12:00

I was actually going to suggest you put the old SSD back and copy the files off onto a USB drive. Then swap in the new SSD and start over.

But why do you need a new 2TB HDD? Can't you just create a folder on one of the other HDDs and copy your data files there, at least until you get Windows reinstalled? (Don't forget browser mailboxes and bookmarks.)

Once you get your files copied over and the new SSD in place, that would be a good time to try the Create option in the Intel RAID manager before going further.

Hard to believe there's no way to re-create the RAID array when only the cache drive gets replaced, but what the heck do I know..??   But here's another thought... Is there any way to install both SSDs and copy the files off the old one onto the new one to re-create the array???

(Thanks to Philip for responding to my PM here.)

January 4th, 2018 15:00

Yeah, I probably don't need a new HDD... however, I've got a lot of music and images on the C-drive, probably more than I have room for on the other drives (at least without dividing them up... Probably other odds and ends I'll have to hunt out... just seemed almost easier to mirror the old onto a new then back after rebuilding the RAID drive(s). I'll have to do some measuring... But I don't need another HDD, unless I add it to my cloud drive as an auxiliary, which would be via USB and I don't know how well that would work... one humongous virtual cloud drive wouldn't be bad. Maybe I'd start using the cloud drive as intended instead of as a NAS. 8-)

January 4th, 2018 19:00

Good question. There is only one mSATA SSD port that I can see on the motherboard. I suppose there might be a way to get an mSATA adapter  for the standard SATA connectors?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 4th, 2018 20:00

There are mSATA external drive enclosures.

The other missing piece will be to make the old SSD visible to the user so you can copy the files onto the new SSD in an mSATA drive enclosure.  Normally the cache SSD is invisible to the user and only visible to the OS to prevent you from writing files on it which would mess up the RAID array....

No Events found!