Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 6th, 2017 03:00

XPS 8700: Keyboard failures

Having trouble with keyboards: after using for awhile, or coming back to machine in the morning, it is like the Windows Logo key has been permanently pressed. Typing in any letter, results in various actions. Typing "a" --Action Center opens, typing "D",desktop disappears/reappears, etc. 

This happens with different keyboards and using different USB ports.

When I restart, this usually settles things down, but occasionally, I will see the "Keyboard Failure" appear on the screen.

I am hoping there is a cheap/easy fix! :-)

Thanks for any advice.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 6th, 2017 11:00

Always include version of Windows in your posts.

Are you saying you leave PC on and let it go to sleep or hibernate, so you're waking it up -as opposed to booting- in the morning?

Reboot and immediately press F12. Look for option to run Diagnostics, and run them, especially keyboard, RAM and extended hard drive tests. Make note of any error messages or failures.

Any recent software updates? Eg, did you recently update Win 10 Creators Update to the Fall Creators Update?

Scanned thoroughly for malware recently?

83 Posts

December 13th, 2017 15:00

Windows 10. The problem is random. Sometimes after I've been working on the computer for awhile, the problem occurs---it is like the ALT key is pressed. Other times it occurs overnight---I leave the computer on, wake it up and it is in state. Sometimes when I start/restart, I will see the Keyboard Failure show up on the start up screen, but won't notice any problem at all.

I don't know if this is related but today, for the first time, my mouse froze---the cursor was stuck in one position. Oddly, when I pressed ALT-CRL-DEL, in the resulting window (with options to log out/shut down/etc), the image of the stuck cursor appeared, but there was another cursor which I could move to select the Restart button. Restarting did not fix this problem (and I tried different mice/different USB ports). I did this 3 times. Turning off the computer did solve this.

I did press F12 during boot to run the diagnostics, and everything passed.  

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 13th, 2017 15:00

Did this start after a recent update to Win 10 Fall Creators Build?

Does it happen if you boot in Safe Mode?

Do these keyboards have their own software that you had to load?

Are all drivers up-to-date?

Frozen mouse cursor image sounding like maybe a corrupted video driver or possibly an overheated video card. Is the video card fan working? You might want to update to latest video driver for both your add-in video card and for Intel's HD Graphics, or if you already have the latest versions, reinstall them.

Sometimes when Windows gets flaky like this, you may end up doing a Refresh or a clean Reinstall. Either way, personal files have to be backed up on external media first, and you'll need media and product keys to reinstall your apps...

83 Posts

December 15th, 2017 15:00

I suspect cursor problem is unrelated to keyboard problem. I will start a new thread.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 15th, 2017 15:00

They could both be related to a USB issue...

No Events found!