Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2014 18:00

XPS 8700 - NO BOOT Device message after an improper shut down

I have a new XPS 8700.  I shut down the computer, and when the screen went black I went ahead and pressed the power button to get it to restart. Apparently, it had not completely shut down (though all signal showed it was shut off - design flaw!), and I inadvertently interrupted the shut down with a longer than typical button hold.  When the system came back up, it went straight to a black screen that said approximately:  "no boot device available", press F1 to reboot, press F2 to access set-up utility.

After going through diagnostics with Dell support, they said that this is a software issue (hardware passed the test , with no error messages), and providing me any software support is not covered under warranty. I purchased this advanced machine only a few months ago.

Through the set-up utility, I did a reset to defaults, and made some changes to boot options with Dell on the phone - these things did not work.  I still have a dead computer, purely from an improper shut down. A boot disc was not included in the box, so I have to request one!!! that's frustrating.

Is there a way to reset whatever is messed up in the BIOS for this thing to boot:

-w/o wiping everything and starting over 

-w/o recovery media in hand

Obviously, I would prefer not having to restore and worry about losing/recovering old files.

As I understand it, it may be possible to change some things in BIOS to make this work, but I am not certain what the settings should be.  Is there a manual I can simply duplicate the settings from?

If I do need to restore it to factory settings, how can I do this - only F2 and F12 provide options.

Lastly, I did find the BIOS exe update file on dell, but I believe I have to be able to boot the computer in order to update the BIOS, is this true?  Can it be done from the bios screen itself, since I can get into that? 

Thank you so much for your help.

3 Posts

June 11th, 2014 18:00

I neglected to mention that this XPS 8700 is running Windows 8, that was upgraded to 8.1, when prompted from windows.

5.2K Posts

June 11th, 2014 22:00

First try to reset the copy of the BIOS which resides in CMOS memory. This is what the computer sees. There will be a function in BIOS which will reset it. You can also remove the CMOS battery on the system board for 30 seconds to force a reset.

3 Posts

June 12th, 2014 13:00

Thank you for this advice re: CMOS battery.  Do i need to first back-up the hard drive before resetting this? Is their a risk of shorting or inadvertently wiping the hard drive?

Secondly, is there a way to set the computer back to factory install without the Windows 8 recovery media?

Thanks again!!!

No Events found!