Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2017 09:00

XPS 8700 - New Win10 Install won't install to HDD

Greetings -

I've tried everything I can think of and this still remains a problem. The system was working fine, until it wasn't. HDD failure of the OEM 2TB drive. I replaced it with a similar model, just a bit newer. Standard HDD, not a hybrid.

Now, when using the Dell software disc to install Windows 10, I have no choice on where I want the install to go. The install keeps going to the 32GB SSD cache drive instead. I've set the SATA operation to RAID, used diskpart to remove all partitions and volumes off both drives, and still nada.

Thoughts?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2017 10:00

SATA operation should be AHCI - not RAID.  

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 11:00

Didn't work. Switched to AHCI and Windows 10 still installed to the cache SSD.

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 14:00

Yes. The BIOS recognizes the drive correctly as does DISK PART.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2017 14:00

Does the  system setup see the new drive?

F2 at powerup to check.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 4th, 2017 13:00

Dumb question: Did you FORMAT the new HDD? New HDDs are typically not formatted and If it's not formatted...

And unless SATA Mode is set to RAID when you do install the OS on the HDD, Windows won't be able to use the 32-GB SSD as the cache drive it was intended to be in this system.

4 Posts

May 4th, 2017 18:00

Yes, I formatted the new HDD. I had SATA mode set to RAID as well. I tried half a dozen times to get the OS to install to the HDD, but every single time it installed to the SSD. So, I just removed the SSD, installed the OS to the only drive left in the system, and re-installed the SSD. Problem mostly solved. After installing the Intel Rapid Storage software, I was able to configure the cache volume but ran into an error message when attempting to "accelerate" the HDD. I haven't chased that one down yet as I'm still in the process of restoring all 4TB of my data from the cloud.

No Events found!