Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2014 07:00

XPS 8700 Special Edition with GTX750ti Video Card

So I recently received a new gaming PC for the family and started setup only to find there were no cables to connect the GTX750ti Video Card to the bundled monitor. The GTX supports DVI and miniHDMI. The bundled monitor does not DVI and the system does not provide a miniHDM to full HDMI cable. Called Dell and they asked for the part number of the cable needed? Isn't that their job. Sending this thing back.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 20th, 2014 07:00

What specific monitor model did you purchase?

9 Posts

November 20th, 2014 11:00

Hi, The bundled monitor is the Dell UltraSharp 23 Multimedia Monitor - UZ2315H. The monitor supports display port, HDMI and VGA. None of the supplied cables will work with DVI on the discrete graphics card.  I did not purchase a system to connect VGA or HDMI. The discrete graphics card should have a display port output. What are my options?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Frame Rate has to do with the GPU not HDMI. Apparently Display port does not input from DVI in a passive way so these kinds of cables are one way only going from DP to dvi but not the other way round. A passive cable that gets you to vga would be Dell X2026 Y Video Splitter DVI - I Male to DVI Female & VGA Female

9 Posts

Yes but there are no cables supplied with the system to connect the discrete graphics card to the monitor. Dell builds and sends a system without cables to connect the monitor. The system is advertised as a gaming system  I will not connect via VGA or HDMI even if I had the cables. HDMI max frame rate is 30 fps and VGA is antiquated tech.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

That model has

Connectivity

1 VGA connector
2 HDMI(MHL) connector (this is not a passive cable)
1 DisplayPort (version 1.2a)(This is not a Passive Cable)

DVI to HDMI is Passive and does not include Audio.

Dell Also makes DVI-A to VGA Cables but these wont work if the Card output is DVI-D only.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 21st, 2014 10:00

The XPS 8700 sales configurator does not cross check the video card chosen and the monitor chosen. It should, and I have voiced this complaint to the team. You must look at the monitor specifications to know what ports are on it. The online UZ2315H User's Guide states that we ship the following cables =
K260C Power
0W6KV AC adapter
TYH2W HDMI
XKXRV DP to mDP
TDFG6 USB 3.0

The UZ2315H has the following video in ports =
DP, HDMI, HDMI, VGA

The Nvidia GeForce GTX750Ti has the following video out ports =
DVI-I, DVI-D, mHDMI

Regardless of ports used, the monitor will max at 1920x1080. None of the GeForce GTX750Ti video out ports can upconvert to the UZ2315H DP via a straight cable. So spending money on a DVI-D to DP active converter is not wise. I would simply purchase the Walmart DVI-D DL to HDMI cable.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 21st, 2014 11:00

Where are you getting "HDMI interfaces are limited to 30 fps"???

I think you are mixing and matching 3DVISION limitations with HDMI and 120hz monitors.  You can definitely get 60fps via hdmi at 720P resolution.

HDMI is limited to 1080p at 24 frames per eye and 720p at 50/60 fps per eye in stereo 3D mode.   The maximum of 24FPS is for watching 3D movies. When a 3D capable Blu-Ray player plays back a 3D movie, the BR player transmits the
video signal to an HDTV at 48Hz instead of the normal 60Hz. Each Hz represents 1 frame so in 48Hz mode 48 frames are sent to the HDTV,
 in 60Hz mode (regular non 3D movie) 60 frames are sent to the HDTV.

48Hz equates to 24 frames because 24 frames are sent to each eye. Your brain processes the two separate frames from each eye to
create the impression that you are seeing a 3D movie.

While 60Hz mode means the BR player is sending 60 frames per second to the HDTV, that does not mean you are actually
watching a movie at 60 FPS. Movies in the US have a frame rate of 23.978 per second. A process called 3:2 pulldown or inverse
 telecine is used to "cut out" the excess duplicate frames so that the movie is played back at 23.978 FPS.
TV shows are recorded at 30 FPS, so dividing the video signal in half will result in the HDTV to correctly display 30 FPS.

As for playing games, HDMI is limited to 60Hz or a maximum of 60FPS on a "normal" monitor. For 120Hz monitors
HDMI is limited to 120Hz or a maximum of 120 FPS (assuming your graphics card can pump out that many frames)
when playing in 2D mode. All 3D monitors are 120Hz so maximum performance you can get is 60 FPS when playing
3D games. Again 60 frames per eye so that the brain will receive two frames at a time (one from each eye) to fooling into thinking you are seeing something in 3D.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

The walmart cable doesnt look like  HDMI(MHL)

9 Posts

Thanks Chris, I have read that HDMI interfaces are limited to 30 fps even if a graphics card can support higher rates. Is what I read accurate? I hope Dell sees this monitor match as an issue and corrects the problem for future purchasers. Having to buy a cable to set up a system is not what I expected from Dell. Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 21st, 2014 12:00

Both HDMI ports on the monitor are standard HDMI in from a video card HDMI out.

In addition, those monitor HDMI ports are also MHL in capable which would require the special mobile Micro-USB to HDMI-MHL adapter. 

9 Posts

November 21st, 2014 14:00

Chris, So another way to go would be to purchase a mini HDMI (for the graphics card) to a standard HDMI (for the monitor) cable - correct?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 21st, 2014 14:00

Then I would get the $9 DVI to HDMI and stay with standard HDMI cables throughout.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/355991/HDMI_Female_to_DVI_Male_Adapter

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 21st, 2014 17:00

There are several ways. That would work. You can get them at Best Buy.

No Events found!