Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 11th, 2014 14:00

XPS 8700 Weird Noise

I have been noticing a weird noise with my new XPS 8700. It's hard to explain what it sounds like so I made a short recording of the noise. You can listen to it here http://picosong.com/YQgV/ and it happens at the 2 second mark in the audio recording.

Sometimes the noise happens every 15-30 seconds and other times it won't happen for another 3-5 minutes.

Here are the specs for the computer if that helps.

Dell XPS 8700, Intel Core i7-4770 3.4ghz,  Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Sandisk Extreme II 240gb SSD for OS and programs, 1TB HDD, 24gb ram (8gb from Dell and 16gb from Crucial)

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

511 Posts

January 20th, 2015 15:00

That would be the sound of the hard drive parking its heads. If you have a Seagate drive that is what it is for sure, Seagate is notorious for having drives that dock their heads loudly. My Seagate Momentus 7200.4 in my XPS L502X made that noise all the time.

3 Posts

January 28th, 2015 21:00

Dell changed my hard drive and solved the problem Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164.   1.8 TB

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 11th, 2014 18:00

Where do you hear the noise? Through the speakers, from inside the tower...?

Are you doing anything specific when it happens? Is it sitting idle, running a specific app, surfing the net, watching a video, using the DVD drive...?

You may need to open the case and then power up to see if you can localize the sound, like a bad fan, a loose cable hitting a fan blade, something vibrating, etc.  Be careful while the case is open. The CPU heat sink will get HOT quickly. Do NOT poke anything metal inside the case and be careful what you touch.

2 Posts

February 11th, 2014 22:00

The noise doesn't come through the speakers. It's definitely through the tower.

I have opened the case to see if I can hear where the noise is coming from. It seems to happen more frequently when i'm surfing the net, watching videos, using photoshop,  etc. and less when there are no windows open but it still happens. I have used a sheet of cardboard  paper to try and determine where the noise is coming from but it's difficult to tell where. There's nothing in the dvd drive and the computer is almost completely silent except for the occasion "weird noice" that happens.

It might be coming from the motherboard?? but not sure.

I came across a forum post that said to disable C1 in bios but i haven't done that yet.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 12th, 2014 11:00

Could be a fan or even a bum hard drive.

Does the video card have a fan? Can you correlate the sound to start/stop of either the CPU or video card fan?

Not sure why turning C1 off in BIOS can/would affect noise from the system....

Since the system is new and under warranty, you probaby want to contact Dell Tech Support for assistance.

2 Posts

May 14th, 2014 20:00

Hi

I am getting the same sound and its coming from my HDD, 2 TB Segate.

Did you get some solution for it.

I am using Dell XPS8700 i7 4770 16gb ram GTX645.

Thanks

11 Posts

May 15th, 2014 00:00

Mine does the same thing.  I have a feeling its the aluminum around the hard drive that's causing the sound to slightly amplify from the case. When I opened my case I noticed the hard drive is installed up against the aluminum in the drive bay, I hope that makes sense.  

I've had my 8700 since last September and so far have not had any issues with the HD.

35 Posts

December 30th, 2014 20:00

I am getting the same zipping sound, like the hard drive is vibrating against the case.  Why in the world is the hard drive mounted like this, wand what is a solution?

3 Posts

December 30th, 2014 22:00

Same for me my friend! and when I check the performance it made the sound simultaneously as the peak on the screen . mine crash all the time since I both it 31 October, bleu, black screen, re install windows from all possible ways still crash ,second time bring back to FUTURE SHOP geek scrap the 18 dec they send it to dell I guest. first Dell ever want to give a try feeling good about Dell, always have HP never have a single prob. first time that I hear rattle on computer I would describe it like a    DZITtt  like a spark when the hard drive level high.

35 Posts

January 14th, 2015 08:00

The sound is from the cheap single 90mm case fan which makes the most annoying sound when it starts up.  It' far too loud.

3 Posts

January 19th, 2015 20:00

Same sound coming from my system, as well. It sounds like something is loose and the vibration of the fans/ hard drive causes to start again.

35 Posts

January 28th, 2015 16:00

Well, I replaced the case fan with a ARCTIC F9 TC - 92 mm Standard Low Noise Temperature Controlled Case Fan.  The RPM is 50% less than the Sunon that was put in there, but.

The humming continues.

The Noise must be coming from either PSU or CPU fan/vibration.  Has anyone replaced the psu and had a noise reduction?

3 Posts

ST2000DM001-1ER164

35 Posts

what drive did they change it from?

Mine is a ST1000DM003-1ER162

35 Posts

January 29th, 2015 07:00

So they changed the same hard drive for the same exact model?  Were you hearing humming noise or clicking noises?

No Events found!