Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 24th, 2015 09:00

XPS 8700 memory upgrade

Currently have 8 gigs memory supplied from dell. (2x4gig)

Would like to upgrade to 16 gigs. Would it be better to do a 4x4gig or 2x8gig configuration or does it even matter?

Looking at this memory : www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx;cm_re=KLEVV-_-20-101-080-_-Product

2.3K Posts

December 24th, 2015 09:00

Hello!  As long as its in matching pairs and you have enough slots (2 or 4) it doesn't matter.  Just don't mix and match memory to be safe. 

5 Posts

December 24th, 2015 10:00

Have 2 slots open, could just add the 2 x 8 gig to the other open slots then? The timing looks to be different, how might this effect the performance

2.3K Posts

December 26th, 2015 11:00

Hello!  Honestly i'm not sure.  Its been a while since i've had more then 2 sticks of RAM in a computer.  I believe if the timing is higher on one set vs the other, the set with the lower timings (faster) will slow down to match.  Or i could be spouting junk!  You can install them and see.  If there is a problem you will likely get BSOD errors. 

11 Posts

January 26th, 2016 12:00

As far as I can recall then dell motherboards have to have 2 matching pairs of memory. So you can add 2 8gb cards in the 2 available slots. I would suggest you get memory which is compatible with the current memory you have got so its is matched as closely as possible as well. Speed does matter but only to what the motherboard spec says.

You will then have 24gb of RAM, much better than 16gb.

If you go to crucial they will tell you what you need or give Dell a call.

1.2K Posts

January 26th, 2016 22:00

The dell bios gives zero control over the memory so you need to make sure it is running optimally at boot / POST time or it may downclock to 1333

The memory timings and other config is important when trying to match four sticks of RAM.

I agree going to crucial and ordering what they recommend and they will guarantee it will work.

Install a tool that can check the memory speeds and latency and validate the old and the old plus the new.

Tools like Intel XTU, or Asus MemTweakIt will show the speed and timings.

There are also good memory performance tests to make sure your system is as fast with more memory as it was with less.

Performance test is quick and easy to run.

http:/www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm " rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm 

No Events found!