Highlighted
4 Beryllium

RE: XPS 8700 nVidia GTX video card upgrades,

You can go up to a GTX 1060 with the stock PSU, and while it is a little more money it is a fantastic card.

the 1050ti isn't bad though.

If you have not updated BIOS to A10 (win7/81) or A11 (Win10) you must or the card will not work.

search the forum for "XPS 8700" graphics card upgrades and you'll see lots more info.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Chris, Coolermaster G750M fits perfectly on the case of XPS 8700/8900

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Incredible info in this thread. You are all awesome.

One question though... seems like most people are saying the 1060 is the best card that will run with the stock 8700 Dell PSU. So I decided to pick me up one.

But when I went to Amazon and Best Buy, I was overhwlemed by the choices. Different manufacturers, different models, even different sizes and number of fans. I just assumed a 1060 was a 1060 was a 1060. Ha! Was I wrong.

I could really use some guidance here. Is there a consensus about which of these dozens of options would be best in an XPS 8700?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

I have been quite happy with the MSI Gaming series with the TwinFrozr fans. The GTX 1060 Gaming model is identical size to the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G we have in on of our 8700s.

The cooler design is the same they use on higher power / higher heat output cards and does is very quiet.

You might need a dual six pin to single 8 pin reverse PCIe power adapter. It converts two six pin into a single 8 pin.

They have them on eBay for about $7 to $8 shipped. I doubt best buy has them.

I would watch for sales. Set a price trigger on pcpartpicker DOT com or look at nowinstock DOT net.

Highlighted
3 Argentum

I ended up with two upgrades, both the PSU & GPU, actually may not have needed the PSU for the GPU upgrade, although may when adding more drives.

First, the GPU, the EVGA 1060 SSC, great choice for the XPS 8700 & far better than any 'premium' 128 bit cards that Dell pushes to the masses.

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

Next, the PSU, which is compact & easily fits into the XPS 8700, the only mod needed to to push the two tabs on the back wall in for removing the old/installing the new. Those tabs doesn't support the GPU in any way, just an anti-tamper mechanism for warranty purposes.

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

I'll spare the details, just read my review dated 05/18/2017, it's important to select the proper of the two CPU power leads, use a magnifying glass to ensure the one just like on the Dell one is chosen.

The reason why I spent a little more & went  Full modular was to reduce wire clutter, there's still a bit due to not having access to the other side of the case, although nowhere close to the amount that a non-modular PSU would provide, or a semi-one for that matter.

My XPS 8700 feels like new again, only better!

speccy.piriform.com/.../KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi

Cat

Proud Dell owner since 2003, beginning with the Dell Latitude C640.
System Specs, as provided by Speccy (05/22/2018) Delidded i7-4790K!

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2C1bee3t40vxgFn8Fo8Uj35

XPS 8700 specs (current), added 92mm front intake in well concealed stock area, no case mod needed, only two screws & PWM splitter (exhaust tied to CPU fan speed), intake uses stock exhaust header & fan. All fans controlled by SpeedFan, otherwise would be locked at just over 800 rpm, now all runs over 2000 rpm.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

no need to upgrade the dell psu for a gtx 1060.

here's a link on eBay to the adapter you might need depending in which card you buy.

some come with adapters.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Most of the EVGA GTX 1060's ships with the needed two 6 to 8 pin adapter as part of the package, along with a metal EVGA tag, posters/stickers, everything needed for install.

To install the latest driver, simply download & install GeForce Experience, the current drivers will be downloaded, or manually download the latest on the NVIDIA site & install. GeForce Experience is optional, although does notify one when newer drivers are released.

www.nvidia.com/.../index.aspx

Cat

XPS 8700 specs (current), added 92mm front intake in well concealed stock area, no case mod needed, only two screws & PWM splitter (exhaust tied to CPU fan speed), intake uses stock exhaust header & fan. All fans controlled by SpeedFan, otherwise would be locked at just over 800 rpm, now all runs over 2000 rpm.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

For using multiple monitors or a UHD 4k monitor, what is the best, low cost Graphics card for Non-gamers??

32 in or 27 in 4k 3840 2160; What should I be looking to purchase?

960?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

For using multiple monitors or a UHD 4k monitor, what is the best, low cost Graphics card for Non-gamers??

32 in or 27 in 4k 3840 2160; What should I be looking to purchase?

960?

GTX 1050 is a good low cost card, and for non-gaming will support UHD 4K, or three non UHD monitors.
a GTX 1060 is a better card, even for non-gaming, but the prices are jacked up because of the demand for GTX 1070's for crypto currency mining has put price pressure on the GTX 1060.
You will need to update BIOS to version A10 ( Win7/8 ) or A11 (Win10) for any GTX 9x0 card or GTX 10x0 card.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

At today's pricing for GTX 1060's (on Newegg), one is better off purchasing a far powerful GTX 1080 (non-Ti) for basically the same price. That gives one 8GB of GDDR5X memory, which is more powerful than GDDR5. Many are sold at or just a little more than the 1060's of all types. so today, the 1060 doesn't have the same value, compared to when I purchased both of mine.

So if one is considering a GTX 1060, take a peek at Newegg & see what select 1080's are going for, you'll be overwhelmed with performance for less cash than when these were first released.

I'm looking towards the future (HBR2), which will become the successor to GDDR5 altogether, AMD is releasing some cards this month, although I'd prefer to wait & see what NVIDIA offers. They won't just sit back & allow AMD to take away their market share, and maybe why existing NVIDIA offerings (best pricing) are at the top & lower tiers.

Cat

0 Kudos