Dan-H
4 Tellurium

RE: XPS 8700 nVidia GTX video card upgrades,

msi kombustor has a particle simulation stress test. Not sure if that is what Gary is running or not.

0 Kudos
garyrmccray
2 Bronze

Hi all,

EVGA supplies an OC Scanner X program for their boards, that is what I was using for the particle test.

It purposely max's out the Video board (why the FPS is so ridiculously high) so you can see how your temperatures and fan speed work out.

I am very happy with the performance of my board at this point no surprises and it runs very cool and for the first time my Oculus DK2 can be used without inducing motion sickness from lag and jitter.

Head turning within a video game so far tracks without any apparent delay and no jitter or breakup of any kind.

It truly provides a feeling of being inside the game space.

Moving with a controller does require a specific mindset because it is also instantaneous and can be vertigo inducing if not done smoothly and with a mindset that incorporates it.

In a truly immersive environment like the Oculus provides any sudden unexpected or anomalous motion can have a seriously unsettling effect as it tends to rip you loose from the immersive experience.

At least with this board exploring the Oculus's capabilities is no longer graphics hardware limited.

The temp it is reporting varies from moment to moment and I reported the C temperature and then several seconds later the F temp (it provides both).

Really happy we finally got these to work with the 8700 - Thank you for your support Chris.

This video board really transforms an inexpensive widely available computer into a graphics power house.

Best Regards,

Gary

0 Kudos
Kevin XPS 8700
1 Copper

I just ordered the XPS i7 4470 8GB Win 8.1 (same as you) and I plan on putting the seasonic X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) in it with a GTX 970. Did you have any problems with the PSU? And if you have already put in the GTX 970, how'd that work out?

I take it when I initially put these components in it wont work because the driver problem, but when I update that, everything should work right? What exactly do I install, if anything at all for this driver issue I've read about.

Thanks,

Kevin.

0 Kudos
Kevin XPS 8700
1 Copper

I meant to say: What do I do about the BIOS Issue?

0 Kudos
Dan-H
4 Tellurium

I just ordered the XPS i7 4470 8GB Win 8.1 (same as you) and I plan on putting the seasonic X650 Gold ((SS-650KM Active PFC F3)) in it with a GTX 970. Did you have any problems with the PSU?

The seasonic X650 gold PSU is a very snug fit. the cable for the top USB and audio will block some of the modular power ports but there are more than enough to power the system.

The right angle power to the HDD is right angle in the wrong direction so if the HDD is in the factory installed location, you have to bend the cable in a slighly awkward angle but it will work. I later moved the HDD to HDD position 3 and removed the cage for the other HDDs. .

Other than that the PSU fits well. The seasonic PSU has a hybrid silent fan mode and I could not hear the PSU over the (somewhat noisy) OEM dell case fan. 

0 Kudos
Shadowjoe
1 Copper

I ordered my new XPS 8700 Special Edition on December 31st. I also ordered three Dell S2715H monitors for a triple monitor setup. After finding this post, I decided to also order the EVGA GTX 970 FTW.

Once everything arrives I will report here and let everyone know how it goes. I appreciate everyone's posts as I would have undoubtedly tried installing another PSU. It's still hard to believe that a 460w PSU is going to work. I am keeping my fingers crossed. My exact specs will be as follows:

*Note* Upon receiving my Dell I will be updating the bios to the XPS A10 version before I switch out the video card.

I then plan on removing the 2TB hard drive that Dell will have operating system installed on and install the Samsung 500 GB SSD. I will then install a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 Pro onto the SSD.

Windows 8.1 Pro

16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx4)

Samsung 500 GB 840 EVO SATA Solid State Drive

4th Generation Intel Core i7-4790 processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)

EVGA GTX 970 FTW

460W Standard Dell PSU

0 Kudos
germanuser1971
1 Copper

My Palit GF 970 Jetstream is working fine with dell 460 W Standard PSU (XPS 8700, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD; original GC by dell was Geforce 720, first replaced by a HIS AMD 7790 icooler).

And why shouldn't it? The tests I have read about the topic say that power consumption for the whole testing system (!!!) does barely exceed 350 W with any tested GF 970. 

Anybody saying that you should rather use a 850 W PSU instead of 650 W and that the original PSU will not be working well (like writen in the original thread, with a lot of calculation around it that obviously must be wrong) just ignores the facts.

Anyway, it's nice to have a better PSU, especially for OC, but speaking for me, I bought a dell PC because it was not very expensive. Otherwise I would have bought a customized PC right away, with more efficient coolers for CPU and case as well.

The size of PSU recommended by the graphics card manufactuer always seems to be too high, I guess. For example, I am still using the following system:

PSU 350 W only

Intel Core i5-650

ATI 5770

4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Win7

This is the original configuration, as sold by - you guessed ist - dell (Studio XPS) in 2010, never causing any trouble (except for the unholy ATI drivers). 

Graphics card was then replaced by HIS ATI 7790 icooler, also running fine (again except for the AMD drivers that really sxxxed, the last catalyst update not working at all). HIS recommends 500 W PSU minimum, although the card has a TDP of only 85 W and should fit in almost any system. A very nice midrange card, also doing well in my xps 8700, much better than I expected.

0 Kudos
SlimJ87D
2 Iron

Well ShadowJoe, how did it work out for you? I am going to have a very similar setup, except I got a mSATA SSD Crucial M550 with the 1TB my XPS 8700 came with.

Any response is appreciated. 

Shadowjoe
1 Copper

Everything went perfect with my setup. The PSU handles everything like a champ. If I play Far Cry 4 on a single monitor, all settings are on ultra with msaa x8. At this setting the frame rates are give or take right on 30 FPS. When I set it to triple monitor mode (good thing I didn't name it) all the settings are still on ultra, but I have to lower the anti-aliasing to msaa x2 to get the 30 FPS. I am very impressed with the gaming power this computer offers. I still prefer to play the games with triple monitors. It is an amazing experience that I hope does not die off as it has gotten me back into gaming.

I decided to just use the 2 TB hard drive that came with the computer to run the operating system. I installed the 500 GB SSD for the game installs. Also installed a 4 TB hard drive for my movies.

The computer cools very efficiently. And stays very quite.

wowsers55
3 Argentium

I find it strange that you don't get higher FPS in Far Cry4. I'm at around 75% completed in this game and everything is on Ultra and I never dip below 70FPS on my single monitor (BenQ XL2420TE) running at 120Mhz. 

You say you have 30FPS on a single monitor setup and this seems low for a 900 series card. I also have the Special Edition XPS just like you.

0 Kudos