Shadowjoe
1 Copper

RE: XPS 8700 nVidia GTX video card upgrades,

My Monitors are the Dell S2715H. I am running at 60 hz at 1920x1080. 40 FPS that fluctuates down to 30 FPS at msaa x8. Its completely smooth. I have v-sync turned off. What anti-aliasing setting do you have set? If I turn anti aliasing to msaa x4 on single monitor then it goes up into the 50 FPS.

Also, if I play single monitor, I am playing in windowed mode which shows the desktop on the other two monitors. I will try disconnecting the other two monitors and see if this makes a difference.

0 Kudos
wowsers55
3 Argentium

I use smaa and I always game at 1920x1080 which is the native resolution of my monitor and always in full screen and not windowed.

0 Kudos
Shadowjoe
1 Copper

When I turned on smaa on a single monitor the frame rate shot up to 70 FPS. smaa on my triple monitors went down to a very playable 27 FPS. I turned on v-sync at 5760x1080 resolution (triple monitors) and its now at 30 to 38 FPS. smaa looks really good so I think I'll keep that setting.

I must be one of those people that can't see the difference between 30 FPS and 70 FPS...

0 Kudos
ulieq
2 Bronze

Speaking of that single NOISEY case fan.  A nosie that can drive one crazy if you're in a quiet room.  Any suggestions on a high end replacement?  I'm thinking with only a single fan, that needs to be replaced with a high air flow/low nosie fan.  

0 Kudos
wowsers55
3 Argentium

My fan is very quiet. Are you sure it's clean? It tends to pick up some dust after a few months so it's always a good idea to clean it every few months. Unless there's a defect in yours but mine has been turning for the past 18 months and I clean it regularly and it's as quiet as the day I bought my XPS.

0 Kudos
ulieq
2 Bronze

My system is brand new, and the fan is loud even surfing the web.  It has an annoying buzzing sound.

0 Kudos
wowsers55
3 Argentium

Then it's defective. Call Dell since it's on warranty.

0 Kudos
Dan-H
4 Tellurium

My case fan is noisy. I ordered a 92mm Noctua NF-B9 fan but it hasn't arrived yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-B9-PWM-Cooling-Fan/dp/B006ISKYPE

I should receive the fan today or tomorrow and may get it installed this weekend and see if that helps quiet it down.

0 Kudos
Jimmydee15
1 Copper

Would the new GTX 960 also be compatible with this BIOS update?

z_ayari
1 Copper

Yeah that's what I was about to ask, thinking about upgrading from my OEM 660.

0 Kudos