Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2015 13:00

XPS 8700, no eSATA port

Are there any eSATA ports on the mother board of the XPS 8700. I think I need it to boot from an external hard drive that's a sata.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 30th, 2015 18:00

No e-SATA available in the XPS 8700. Only SATA and mSATA.

You might be able to install an e-SATA PCI-e card and boot from an external hard drive, but I won't guarantee that will work.

Why do you think you need to boot from an e-SATA drive?

January 31st, 2015 10:00

Because I thought I had to because I want to recover a backup to a external hard drive and boot from it. I saw on the internet that the only way I can boot from external drive is from e-sata.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 31st, 2015 11:00

Not sure I understand what you're trying to do, but you should be able to boot from a USB HDD.

Connect a bootable drive to the PC first. Then power on and immediately press F12. You should find the option to boot from USB on the F12 menu.

You should also be able to create a bootable DVD with software like Acronis that allows you to create and recover a backup image that's stored on USB HDD. Both Seagate and Western Digital offer free "lite" versions of Acronis that will let you do that. Look for the software on the site for whichever HDD you have. Seagate calls it "Disk Wizard".

You can also create a bootable flash drive using free software like Rufus.

No Events found!