Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

October 18th, 2013 04:00

XPS 8700 not updating to Windows 8.1

I tried to upgrade the system from Windows 8 to 8.1. After downloading the file, it rebooted and beeped 5 times then hung. I restarted the machine and it booted displaying a message "restoring former version of Windows" and finally informed that the upgrade was unsuccessful with an error code of:

Oxc1900101-0X2000c

7 Posts

October 18th, 2013 18:00

Same here on a XPS 8500.  It looks like we are not alone:  http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrymagid/2013/10/17/windows-8-1-upgrade-not-working-after-3-attempts-on-2-machines/

Still searching for a solution myself...

October 19th, 2013 01:00

Hi sonorous,

As suggested in the above post, ensure to login with the Microsoft Account to upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Install all the latest windows updates for the system.

Also, check the link provided above for information on How to upgrade to windows 8.1 from windows 8.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist you further.

October 19th, 2013 01:00

Hi dperry112,

Do you have any other user account on the system?

Ensure to login with your Microsoft Account to upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Install all the latest windows updates for the system. To turn on automatic updating

• Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you're using a mouse, pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer up), tapping or clicking Settings, tapping or clicking Change PC settings, and then tapping or clicking Update and recovery.
  • Tap or click Choose how updates get installed.
  • Under Important updates, choose the option that you want.
  • Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then click Apply.

You may refer to the link http://dell.to/1fKhj1r for more information on How to upgrade to windows 8.1 from windows 8.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you further.

108 Posts

October 19th, 2013 05:00

I did all this.  We are providing you a specific error message that appears to be due to an error in the upgrade processing drivers. Any more specific ideas?

108 Posts

October 20th, 2013 17:00

I did two things and then successfully upgraded:

Added one optional update from Windows Update -- not the bing toolbar

Updated the Intel chipset driver from Dell -- newer version

October 22nd, 2013 05:00

Hi dperry112,

Glad to know that the issue is resolved.

Thank you for sharing the steps that resolved the issue for you. Hope other users may benefit from your resolution.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

3 Posts

November 20th, 2013 21:00

Thanks Dperry112. I was getting this same issue. Once I downloaded all the latest drivers for my xps 8700...I was also able to upgrade to 8.1

December 7th, 2013 01:00

Please, which driver versions exactly have you installed? Thank you very much.

3 Posts

December 7th, 2013 14:00

I would like to know too.  Have a fresh out of the box xps 8700 that won't update to 8.1

December 7th, 2013 15:00

Yes, I have installed all the updates for both Windows and Chipset drivers by now. But nothing. It is very frustrating that an expensive, brand new computer can fail us so badly... Dell, it's up to you now.

3 Posts

December 7th, 2013 15:00

I have done all of the above.  Windows 8.1 is not showing up in the "store".

December 7th, 2013 18:00

I found out with to do! For me I had to uninstall DELL BACKUP AND RECOVERY. The way I found out was to go to the official windows website, go to upgrade to windows 8.1 and under Can My PC Run Windows 8.1, you can click run Windows 8.1 upgrade Assistant. This will figure out what you will need to do to get 8.1. Hope this helps!

3 Posts

December 8th, 2013 10:00

I removed all manner of Dell applications (with the exception of the WLAN and Bluetooth Client) -- still wouldn't work. Skydrive had shown up the first time I ran the upgrade assistant, but not in subsequent runs. So I finally got the idea to uninstall it -- had to do it from the start screen, because it wasn't in Control Panel/Programs... That finally made it happen. Well, might not have worked if the Backup and Recovery application hadn't been uninstalled. I'll never know! Anyway, appreciate suggestions. And hope this bit of info might help someone else out there.

December 9th, 2013 08:00

I did all that. Nothing worked. My Windows Shop still ignores 8.1's existence.

2 Posts

December 11th, 2013 17:00

Same here. I just spent approximately 4 hours on the phone with Dell today. He has no idea what to do. My brand new Dell XPS 8700 might be running Windows 8 for awhile... at least until Dell and Microsoft start playing nice with one another.

No Events found!