Highlighted
CarlSTex
Phosphor

XPS 8700 suddenly slow rebooting and starting

Jump to solution

My previously speedy Dell 8700 with 12GB ram has suddenly slowed to a crawl when rebooting or starting up. The problem occurs before any hard drive activity starts.  So, when I reboot, after the shutdown procedure occurs, the monitor goes into sleep mode (amber), the white light on the tower's power button remains on. The computer is then silent for about five minutes before the monitor comes alive, the disk activity light comes on, and the startup procedure occurs.  From that point, the startup is speedy.

If I completely power down, when I boot up, the power light turns white, the screen displays a Dell logo in a circle.  There is no caterpillar going in a circle for approximately five minutes. There is no disk activity.  Suddenly, after sitting there, the caterpillar appears, and the computer boots up speedily from that point.  Basically, the Dell logo without caterpillar is taking several minutes when it used to take a couple of seconds.  If I hit F12, it won't beep until after that five minutes is over.  So, the problem is very early on in the boot process, I would guess.

I have shut down the computer, pulled out the plug.  Removed all USB cords.  Held the power button down for thirty seconds, then re-inserted all cords, and powered back up. That did not seem to solve the issue. 

I have BIOS A03 that came installed on this machine which was purchased almost exactly one month ago. I haven't attempted to update the BIOS in fear that I might make things worse since the computer was fast a week or so ago.

The online diagnostics refuses to run. Have not knowingly changed anything in BIOS settings. Have not run diagnostics from F12, but will do so.  Cannot see how to turn on verbose POST.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Thorium

RE: XPS 8700 suddenly slow rebooting and starting

Jump to solution

Try clearing BIOS:

1. Power off and unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Reinstall battery (right-side-up!)
  6. See if it boots properly now with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
CarlSTex
Phosphor

Jump to solution

After following procedure, it something about BIOS reset and  prompted me to hit F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup.  I hit F1, and it booted rather quickly.  Next reboot, it was back to five minutes before HD activity and spinning caterpillar.

Updated BIOS to A06 as well.  Did not change situation.

0 Kudos
Thorium

Jump to solution

What version of Windows?

Is Secure Boot enabled in BIOS?

Try booting with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
CarlSTex
Phosphor

Jump to solution

Version 8.1.  Came with version 8, but upgraded several weeks ago.  Problem does not coincide with upgrade, but could be something that has  appened since.  Problem is pre-OS, as it happens when I boot off Linux Live-CD, too.  Pause occurs before Dell logo appears on warm reboot, in other words, blank screen for several minutes (monitor stays in standby mode).  On cold boot, logo appears at power up, but caterpillar does not start for several minutes.

Secure boot is enabled currently, but have tried it both ways with same result.  Tried with only keyboard, mouse, and monitor attached and same thing.

Ran full ePSA pre-boot assessment and everything passed.

0 Kudos
Thorium

Jump to solution
I'll run this past my Dell tech contacts to see if anyone has any suggestions... Might take a few days because of the holidays...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
chucko6166
Bronze

Jump to solution

See my similar thread with a couple of possible solutions  (does not sound like your issue but maybe there is some common ground there):

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19537836.aspx

CarlSTex
Phosphor

Jump to solution

Chuck, I've been thinking it wasn't related to O/S because I'd experienced it in Linux, but the symptoms seem so similar.  I did update my wireless driver because my Bluetooth stopped working after upgrading to 8.1, so maybe this reboot problem has been around for a while and I haven't noticed.

I'm going to try your uninstall solution and see what I end up with.  I'm also going to restore to a pre-upgrade image and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
CarlSTex
Phosphor

Jump to solution

Have not been able to successfully uninstall the "Dell WLAN and Bluetooth Client Installation" to test Chuck's solution.  It gets stuck at 100%, then never finishes.

0 Kudos
CarlSTex
Phosphor

Jump to solution

After several reboots, and system restores, I was able to completely remove the Dell Wireless Client software, and lo-and-behold, after removing it and the device, the device is magically back, and yet the slow reboot is fixed.  I had noticed that my BlueTooth was not working right after I upgraded to Windows 8.1, and one of the troubleshooting tips I found on the web was to check for new drivers.  I installed the drivers for the WLAN/Bluetooth, and I guess I didn't notice at the time the reboot being slow.  I could have been that way for quite some time since I don't regularly reboot.  I'm not sure if it was removing the device or uninstalling the "Dell WLAN and Bluetooth Client Installation" but it sure seems to be booting fine now. 

Definitely something that 8.1 doesn't like about that package, although I thought I had filtered on Windows 8.1 when getting the downloads.