Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 23rd, 2013 08:00

XPS 8700 suddenly slow rebooting and starting

My previously speedy Dell 8700 with 12GB ram has suddenly slowed to a crawl when rebooting or starting up. The problem occurs before any hard drive activity starts.  So, when I reboot, after the shutdown procedure occurs, the monitor goes into sleep mode (amber), the white light on the tower's power button remains on. The computer is then silent for about five minutes before the monitor comes alive, the disk activity light comes on, and the startup procedure occurs.  From that point, the startup is speedy.

If I completely power down, when I boot up, the power light turns white, the screen displays a Dell logo in a circle.  There is no caterpillar going in a circle for approximately five minutes. There is no disk activity.  Suddenly, after sitting there, the caterpillar appears, and the computer boots up speedily from that point.  Basically, the Dell logo without caterpillar is taking several minutes when it used to take a couple of seconds.  If I hit F12, it won't beep until after that five minutes is over.  So, the problem is very early on in the boot process, I would guess.

I have shut down the computer, pulled out the plug.  Removed all USB cords.  Held the power button down for thirty seconds, then re-inserted all cords, and powered back up. That did not seem to solve the issue. 

I have BIOS A03 that came installed on this machine which was purchased almost exactly one month ago. I haven't attempted to update the BIOS in fear that I might make things worse since the computer was fast a week or so ago.

The online diagnostics refuses to run. Have not knowingly changed anything in BIOS settings. Have not run diagnostics from F12, but will do so.  Cannot see how to turn on verbose POST.

5 Posts

January 20th, 2014 10:00

5 Posts

February 9th, 2014 12:00

I just rolled back the Bluetooth driver and my problem with slow reboot was solved on my xps 8700 Windows 8.1 computer.

5 Posts

February 10th, 2014 14:00

I think there's a check box in Windows Update that can be checked next to that bad driver [optional update] so that Windows Update doesn't offer that bad driver for download again?

561 Posts

February 10th, 2014 14:00

Yes Sir! work for me too......but  : Substitute character removed as per TOU> this should not be happening. BTW, Windows update will try to install the  Substitute character removed as per TOU> driver again, be aware!

1 Message

February 19th, 2014 13:00

Rolling back the bluetooth driver worked on my XPS 7500 machine as well.  The Device Manager hung on disabling both devices, but I killed it each time and then confirmed that the 2012 driver was in place.  I rebooted and noted the 2012 drivers were still in place.  Rebooted again and the problem was solved.

April 3rd, 2014 16:00

Worked on my 8700 also. I never would have thought to try an older driver. Good catch

14 Posts

April 17th, 2014 08:00

As I noted earlier I had rolled the driver back on my 8700 as well as my wife's 8500 and the slow rebooting and starting was history. However after the 8.1 update the 2013 driver has been reinstalled on both devices. I have attempted to roll back the driver as well as uninstalling the driver under the "Uninstall" tab. On both machines the 2013 driver somehow reinstalls itself and the slow booting and starting has returned. Does anyone have any ideas on how to permanently and for good remove these 2013 Bluetooth drivers? I do not use Bluetooth so what are the implications of simply disabling the device?

26 Posts

April 17th, 2014 20:00

What is the version of the driver that your system shows in Win8.1 update 1?

Mine is 8.0.1.312 dated 011/22/2013

I recall that I installed the newer driver from Station-Drivers.com previously.  it looks as though there is a newer driver than what I have installed.  Here is the link:

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/Drivers/Qualcomm-Atheros/Bluetooth/Qualcomm-Atheros-Bluetooth-Version-8.0.1.318-WHQL/

but the site is in French so it may be a bit challenging to D/L the file.  (Hint - click on Telecharger - that means download - or upload).

The newer drivers have been problem free for me.  I don't know why Dell still only lists the older drivers.

I hope the newer driver solves the issue for you.  Let us know either way.

14 Posts

April 17th, 2014 21:00

Thanks for responding. This morning when I booted up the 2013 driver had reinstalled itself after I had uninstalled it yesterday. At that point I either rolled it back or uninstalled it fully expecting that the next time I rebooted it would reinstall itself. I don't have the precise date of the 2013 driver and when I just rebooted the 2012 driver was retained. Pardon my confusion on this but I'm having to deal with the same issue on an XPS 8500 - which also seems to be capable of reinstalling uninstalled/roll-backed drivers. I read your posting (and have bookmarked it) on the discussion regarding the French drivers but have not yet tackled the process that you described but intend on do so as soon as possible. Again thanks for replying and I'll post my results after I complete it.

14 Posts

April 18th, 2014 07:00

After XPS 8500 boot up this morning the Bluetooth driver 8.0.1.240 dated 7/30/2013 had reinstalled itself after having been uninstalled yesterday. I uninstalled again and rebooted and the 8.0.1.240 driver was once again reinstalled. I then rolled back the driver to 8.0.0.200 dated 6/21/2012 and rebooted. After reboot the 2012 driver was retained. I rebooted twice more and each time the 2012 driver was retained. For whatever reason on the XPS 8500 rolling back the driver now seems to holding. On the XPS 8700 the driver 8.0.0.218 dated 12/18/2012 was retained on boot up this morning – the 2013 driver has not reappeared thus far after being rolled back. In looking at the update history on the 8700 the 2013 driver was reinstalled on 4/11/2014; 4/13/2014; and 4/14/2014. Currently In Windows Update there is once again a Qualcomm Atheros Communications – Bluetooth Controller – Dell Wireless 1703 Bluetooth optional update available. I checked it the box to the left, right clicked and "hide" the update. I’ll see if this keeps the update from automatically installing as there doesn't appear to be a way to delete that update. On the XPS 8500 an update for the driver has not shown itself as of yet. Hopefully rolling back the driver and “hide update” will work. I’ll keep you posted.

1 Message

November 24th, 2014 20:00

you sir deserve an oscar, this worked! Thanks alot...

Almost had an hearattack :)

No Events found!