Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2013 08:00

XPS 8700 with 32 GB RAM

The current highest-spec XPS 8700 desktop has 24GB of memory.

I'd like to buy additional DELL memory modules so that the total is 32 GB with the best performance.

I couldn't find the description of the pre-installed modules, so my questions are:

Are the 24GB pre-installed modules 3x8GB so that basically there is one spare DIMM slot?

If I buy a XPS8700-compatible 8GB module from dell website, how can I verify that it matches exactly the pre-installed ones?

Thank you very much.

41 Posts

September 18th, 2013 18:00

Where are you located?

Every one of the systems that I looked at in Dell Home, Dell Work and the Dell Member Purchase program that ships with 16GB or 24GB comes with 4 DIMMs, which means that you would have to remove some memory in order to upgrade to 32GB.

If you click View Details for a specific system in the Dell configurator, you should see the number of DIMMs specified - at least you can in my area. For example, the XPS8700 Special Edition with 24GB shows:

24GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz - 4 DIMMs

You could try using Chat or telephoning Dell directly to see if you could order the system with 32GB. Sometimes they will do that.

September 19th, 2013 06:00

Hi guidon83,

Thank you for your response, Unfortunately the XPS 8700 comes with a maximum configuration of 24 GB only and it cannot be customized.
As suggested by jupitermoon earlier that you will have to remove a couple of memory dims to upgrade the memory to 32 GB.
The XPS 8700 supports up to a maximum of 32 GB system memory so if the highest configuration comes with 24 GB system memory it should use 2 memory modules of 8 GB and 2 memory modules of 4 Gb which equates 24 GB. XPS 8700 has 4x 240-Pin DDR3L/DDR3 SDRAM slots which support Dual Channel DDR3L SDRAM up to 1600 MHz

There’s an option where you can upgrade the memory by clicking on the link below which gives you option to purchase memory for 2 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB respectively.
http://dell.to/1ds0LaT

Reply us if you’ve any questions.

7 Posts

May 27th, 2014 08:00

Memory DIMMs must be installed in pairs.  You will not find a system with 3 modules in it.  ergo, you cannot add just one module.

September 18th, 2013 09:00

Hi guidon83,

I’d be glad to assist you regarding the same, as your computer has the maximum of 32 GB storage capacity for memory.
There are 4 slots on your computer, but the memory may come from 4GB to 32 GB which we’re not sure and in order to check
the right amount of memory dims.

Please provide us the Service tag of your computer on a private message. To send a private message, click on my user name and select send a Private Message and provide your service tag and contact information (as mentioned below) so that I may access your system records.

System Service Tag No:
Registered System Owner's Name:
Shipping address:
Telephone number/s:
Email address:

Let us know if this helps.

3 Posts

September 18th, 2013 10:00

Hi, sorry I didn't explain myself correctly: I don't have an XPS 8700 desktop yet (so I can't provide a service Tag). I want to buy one, and I'd like it to have 32GB of memory.

The current highest-spec standard configuration has 24GB and it's not customizable, so I thought I would buy an additional 8GB DIMM module from DELL online-shop.

The XPS 8700's product description on DELL online-shop does not tell what's the composition of the memory. I am assuming that 24GB is made of 3x8GB modules. Can you tell what's the composition of the memory that ships with the XPS 8700's standard 24GB configuration?

If I buy an XPS8700-compatible 8GB DIMM module from DELL online-shop, how can I verify that it matches exactly the pre-installed ones? (I would like to have the best performance)

Thank you

3 Posts

September 19th, 2013 05:00

I see now.

Well I'm quite disappointed as the lack of flexible configuration is a nuisance.

Also I've contacted DELL sales UK and they've tolde me they weren't able to ship non-standard configuration :=/

1 Message

January 8th, 2014 14:00

If you are located in Canada, Costco has 32GB version on sale:

http://www.costco.ca/Dell-XPS-8700-English-Desktop-i7-4770.product.100098972.html

5 Posts

June 10th, 2015 16:00

I just had one delivered yesterday.

3 Posts

June 20th, 2015 23:00

Note that dell systems will ship with the stated amount of memory, but they will use the smallest size

memory modules that they can, and because the dell XPS 8700 model desktops use the dual memory

modules, memory will always be installed in at least two (2) memory Slots.

that means the smallest memory chips will be used to fill at least two (2) Slots.

like a 8GB system will come with two 4GB memory module Sticks installed into Tow Slots of DIMM, say

slot-0, and slot-1 for a total of 8GB memory. so your memory ordered can only be in sizes of the smallest memory modules supported x two (2). so if the smallest size supported is say 4GB the smallest amount of memory that can be ordered would be 8GB, then 16GB, then 32GB.

Now I do not know what the smallest memory module support by dell for the Dell XPS 8700 model Desktop is but you can be sure that dell will used the smallest memory module size chip, because

the smaller memory module chips cost less. so if you want 32GB of Memory, and dell only will ship

the 24GB, then you should the smallest amount of memory, and then you will perhaps has some open

memory slots open. If I were You I Would Call And Talk to technical Dept. about this before ordering

as it will likely save you some $money. Now On my Dell XPS 8700 I Ordered 16GB, and all 4 slots of dual memory slots are install with 4GB memory module chips. so 4 x $GB = 16GB.

also note: that when you get your dell pc, if you want to know all about your dell pc system, just go and search for The " Belarc Advisor " program, Its A free Program that when you run it, will give you almost every thing you would like to know about you dell pc. To get this free program go to the following:

Web-Site URL Link < http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html >.

when you go to this web-site URL link, your browser scree displayed will have on the left side a banner

for free download of belarc advisor. You Should read the specs and software requirements, the just click to download. It will install very fast and then ask if you want it to create a report of your computer system. I beek a shout-cut on my desktop of both the program and the reports document it created,

for quick reference, like how many memory slot are install with memory modules, the serial # of each,

DIMM Chip and so on. This program will even check you pc for missing updated, at the bottem of the report you can chick of a link that will display all of your installed update listed by date installed. I use

this to check my installed updates. I hope this will help you on your memory Question. talker1937.

No Events found!