Highlighted
InTheZoneAC
1 Nickel

XPS 8900 / 6th Gen Intel Skylake Freezing (UPDATED WITH RESOLUTION...ALL IN THE BIOS)

Jump to solution

*RESOLUTION*

-Go to your BIOS(After restarting or powering on computer keep tapping F2 once the Dell logo is present)

-Scroll down to Performance

-DISABLE C state

-Apply, save, exit

-Disable sleep in your control panel power options

Enjoy your now functional XPS 8900 that used to freeze multiple times a day.

------------------------------------------------

Below is what it was initially doing before I found a fix

So I recently got xps 8900, immediately installed a SSD drive and upgraded the ram from 8GB to 16GB.

I also used the old logitech solar keyboard and logitech wireless mouse from the old computer(they use a little usb receiver) and only been using these wireless devices for today and it's frozen twice. Couldn't even plug in a usb mouse or keyboard and have the computer respond.

For the first two days while doing the initial ssd install and windows 10 updates this computer stayed on for two straight days using the included wired mouse/keyboard. No issues with computer freezing or booting up.

But when I gave this computer as a Christmas gift then installed the old wireless logitech keyboard and mouse the computer has frozen twice in a span of 8 hours.

So I'm not sure if it's a USB issue or if the wifi card is causing problems because I've seen a few threads mention to remove this card or disable a wifi driver as they've had BSOD or other issues.

Computer looks great and seems to run perfectly, until these last two freezing issues. I plan on buying a new logitech mouse, but the old one has worked perfectly for 6 or so years on an older XPS computer so I know that's not broken at all.

Update:

Just wanted to add that I checked it a few minutes ago and it was frozen again. No controls from usb keyboard or mouse. Tried Windows key and numlock, capslock, no lights on those.

I have sleep mode disabled, so only the monitor is turning off. After this 3rd time freezing I went ahead and disabled wifi driver and am now running ethernet. At the rate it freezes, it should be frozen again in the morning. Didn't have a problem with this at all for two straight days....

Update 2:

-Ran Dell Diagnostic, everything checked good

-Disabled some sleep settings under power options, advanced settings

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
InTheZoneAC
1 Nickel

RE: XPS 8900 / 6th Gen Intel Skylake Freezing (UPDATED WITH RESOLUTION...ALL IN THE BIOS)

Jump to solution

again, click on page 1 and READ THE VERY FIRST POST

thanks

it is much easier to click on the first post and read the resolution, than to read through several scattered pages to try and find the resolution. That's why it's the first thing you read on page one, regardless of date. All info after is just the process leading up to the conclusion.

0 Kudos
76 Replies
RoHe
6 Indium

RE: XPS 8900 freezing

Jump to solution

Was problem fixed by changing advanced power options?

If not, open Device Manager and expand list under USB. Double-click a Root Hub and then click its Power Management tab. Uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...". Repeat for all USB Root Hubs.

Do the same thing for any device listed under Human Interface Devices (HID) in Device Manager that has a Power Management tab.

Then open your Power plan. Click advanced settings and make sure USB Selective Suspend is disabled.  Save the change to the plan.

Reboot and see if that helps.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks, I tried this last night, just playing the waiting game now.

All my previous freezes happened within 24 hours(after doing all windows 10 updates including that big november update), so if this stupid thing can last the next couple days without freezing I'm hopeful that the problem is fixed for good.

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Well it froze again.

This is really pathetic. I hate talking to any customer support/service and this is the dumbest problem to have.

And they're probably going to waste time taking it back, sending another with the same problem.

Thanks though for the help.

One other thing. I believe the computer was using AHCI for the 1TB HDD. For the SSD I had switched it to RAID. I had no problems running this on my 9 year old XPS Desktop, it shouldn't be a problem on this computer?

I may end up copying programs onto the 1TB HDD and running Win10 off of that and switching back over to AHCI while disabling the SSD.

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Did it freeze before you did all those mods? Not a good idea to make major mods before testing out a new PC for a few days.

What connector did you use for the SSD? SATA, M.2..?

Are you sure you actually want it set up as RAID? I may be wrong, but I don't think you need RAID since the SSD is a separate drive, that's not being used a cache.

Maybe you need to revert to the factory hardware config and test it out. If that doesn't freeze, your mods are likely causing the problems.

BTW: the word you used after "dumbest" is likely to get your post censored so please keep things polite and family safe - thank you.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

First day I got it I ran it out of the box untouched. That's the 1TB 7200 RPM HDD with Windows 10, no current updates. When I saw it was up and running fine I power down, unplug, let sit for a while, remove 8GB RAM and install 16GB(8x2GB)

Second day I attempt to clone my SSD Samsung Pro 850 SATA Drive using SATA Port 1  and it works on first try. After the clone I remove the 1TB HDD from SATA port 0 and connect the SSD there. I restart windows only with the SSD connected. Once that was verified good I connected the 1TB HDD to SATA 1 then let the run overnight, never turning off. Before it sat overnight I had changed the drive letter of the 1TB so I could use it as a secondary HDD.

When the SSD became the primary OS I installed Bitdefender 2016 Total Security, along with MS Money, Adobe Reader, Java, iTunes, and whatever other updates Windows 10 found. I had a problem installing the "November Windows 10 Update". I had to update Windows 10 using the "Upgrade Now" method from the MS site: microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Apparently, seemed like half the windows 10 users failed this update through windows update on their computer.

Well first try with the "manual upgrade" and it worked.after several failed through Windows Update.

That is what I've done and I've had all these issues AFTER the manual update.

I also have a lot of warnings and errors in the event viewer for SYSTEM. I decided to check my other windows 10 computer and I have very few warnings and errors, mainly about bluetooth keyboard, but nothing major.

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Jump to solution

After all that, maybe you need to Refresh Win 10 which -hopefully- can sort out the problem...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
bluegill362
1 Copper

Jump to solution

If you haven't updated all of the drivers listed on the Dell page for updates on your XPS 8900, recommend that you do this first. Use your service tag number to go to the correct system info for your XPS 8900.system.
Next recommend that you access the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Icon (mine is located as hidden icon in the system tray at the bottom right corner of the monitor screen) and locate the Performance section. Disable Power saving feature and then reboot the computer. Doing this helped stop freeze occurrences and gave a very noticeable increase in performance and speed in accessing programs for me.

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for all the help.

I've already attempted every single power disable feature mentioned and anything else I can think of. I emailed dell technical support regarding these problems.

Nothing's actually helped the random freezing. My last attempt will be to run Windows 7 from the old computer, basically pull that HDD and plug it in the new computer and test.

Googling "Windows 10 freezing" brings up way too many results. I have windows 10 working fine on 4 computers, but this 8900 is the biggest pain.

Thanks again though, will update results with Windows 7 in a couple days. Event viewer through 7 should also tell me a lot of what's going on and what to expect. If I see clean entries then it should be good...we'll see...

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Jump to solution

basically pull that HDD and plug it in the new computer and test.

That's not going to work unless the "old computer" is another identical XPS 8900. Win 7 on that HDD was installed for entirely different hardware (eg, CPU, chipset, video etc). So at best it's going to BSOD.

Did you ever try removing the extra RAM you added and see if it still freezes? Maybe the new RAM isn't fully compatible. Dell PCs are known to be fussy about RAM, even when the specs match.

Did you try Refreshing Win 10 or maybe doing a clean reinstall on the SSD again?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos