InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

RE: XPS 8900 freezing

Jump to solution

You're right. I tried to swap HDD's from the old computer into this one and it wouldn't boot. So I have the old computer running with windows 7 so I can play with this new one some more to see if I can get something to work.

I am going to remove the 16GB of RAM and install the original 8GB and let it run without going into sleep or powering off.

If it freezes again I'm going to install windows 7 on the SSD and leave the factory 1TB alone and disconnected as it's still able to boot to Windows 10. I've seen several searches where Windows 10 froze randomly, even after fresh installs, but once they went to windows 7 or 8 they had no more issues.

For your "refreshing windows" question, the new SSD has a clone of Windows 10 from the factory 1TB. After the PC froze with the SSD I had also reinstalled Windows 10 using the option to keep personal files.

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

Have you looked in the Windows Event viewer for errors logged around the time of a freeze and your forced reboot? They may point you in the right direction.

Unless you have Win 10 Pro, you don't have downgrade rights to install Win 7 Pro. Win 10 Pro doesn't have downgrade rights to Win 7 Home.

Win 10 Home has no downgrade rights at all. If you have Win 10 Home, you'll have to buy a Win 7 license for this PC. And it's not legal to use a Win 7 disk from some other PC to install it on the XPS 8900.

If it were me, I'd go back to the exact original config: Disconnect the SSD and reconnect the 1T to SATA 0; remove all new RAM. Then boot from the 1T HDD to see if that works without freezing. If that works, then possibly your new RAM is incompatible (or just defective), possibly a corrupted or outdated driver, or maybe an SSD problem.

Keep in mind all power option and settings tweaks you made after booting Win 10 from the SSD won't carry over to the OS image on the HDD. So you may need to make the same changes, especially to USB and HID power management in Device Manager etc to see if those changes prevent freezing, assuming it freezes when booting from the factory image on the 1T drive.

Aside from mouse/keyboard, are any other USB devices connected? I've seen a number of threads with USB problems on this model that get resolved when those other USB devices are disconnected.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I removed the 16GB of new RAM and ran the factory 1TB HDD with Windows 10 and it froze again. This was using the factory usb mouse/keyboard, nothing else connected to it.

I then did a clean install of windows 10 on the SSD wiping everything today. I still get a few warnings and PCI Boot express errors, so I'm trying to rectify each issue. I have finished installing all the newest drivers for Win1 10 Home 64 bit. I also disabled power management for PCI under device manager and have disabled sleep mode for the computer. So now back to the waiting game for this to freeze...

As for Windows 7, I have my own personal copy, which is what I was using on my other computers before upgrading to Windows 10. I wasn't trying to downgrade from 10 at all, just do a clean install to 7. But Windows 7 will wait until I can verify the freezes still occur daily with this fresh install of 10.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Millimidget
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

As far as I know, if you're running from a SSD, you'll need to be in AHCI, not RAID.

There's a larger issue with the USB ports in some of the 8900s. Some users are reporting that they'll only get functionality out of one USB port from a panel; ie initially both are working, but shortly after plugging something into one port (say, on the top), then the companion port stops working. I haven't experienced this personally, and wonder if updating the chipset and USB 3.0 drivers doesn't help.

Those little USB wi-fi keyboard/mouse setups are junk. I can't stand them. They burn out often enough (once a year for me, on average), and I've found their performance totally unreliable. At least get one with a beefier wi-fi adapter.

Also, if you really wanted to drop that HDD into the new machine, you should be able to load it up with any necessary drivers. Just remember that if you're pulling them from the Dell website, you need to make sure you're downloading the correct drivers for Win7.

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I believe I'm in AHCI mode, I'll verify when I get home.

As for the USBs I haven't encountered any issues with those yet. I've had a usb mouse, usb keyboard, usb flash drive all plugged together at the same time in the back panel and in other instances 3 of the 4 front/top ports with an external HDD plugged into the top port.

I have made sure to download intel's software that checks any and all intel devices and the current firmware, everything is up to date.

I haven't touched Windows 7 with this computer yet, if I get home and it's still working that means the fresh install on the SSD has been working for almost 20 hours straight. This computer typically froze once to 5 times in 12 hours...

And from experience I haven't tried other brands, but the logitech unifying devices have worked perfectly for me. I use their mouse using bluetooth, but my logitech solar keyboard has to use the unifying usb receiver, no issues with that disconnecting/pausing. One keyboard is about 4 years old, the other is about 2, both have worked flawlessly even when their charge constantly sits around 40% due to apparent poor lighting.

Thanks

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

So I came home to a frozen computer today. It froze sometime between 630 this morning to now. I don't see anything in event viewer that shows when it froze. I only see the errors from when I had to perform a hard shutdown.

I see a couple warnings/errors like:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID

and

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device BTHLEDevice

and

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

and

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Network link is disconnected.

and

The browser service was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master (my note: no browser was open and computer was idle)

That last warning before my hard reset happened 90 minutes ago, so my guess is that it froze on that browser service event 

Looks like Windows 7 is next in line for testing followed by another waiting game...

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

The WUDFRd driver seems to be looking for a Bluetooth device (BTHLEDevice). If you don't use any BT devices, you might want to disable Bluetooth Support Service by running services.msc and unchecking that box.

Read this about that "...application-specific permission settings..."

Is this computer on a network? You may get that Ethernet error if the PC is trying to see other PCs on the network.

Go into Device Manager and double-click the entry for the Intel NIC. If it has a Power Management tab, you know the routine about that stupid box. Do the same for your WiFi NIC.

Then check for any NIC settings options in your Power plan and disable anything that wants to turn of either NIC.

Do you have the latest Intel Chipset drivers and NIC drivers for Win 10 installed?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I'm using a bluetooth mouse and I just now disabled "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" for intel bluetooth and the same for intel wifi. I had this bluetooth error on the factory dell wifi/bluetooth card and on the current upgraded 802.11AC intel 7265 card

This computer is on a home network, 2 are using windows 10 home 64-bit like this one and 1 is using windows 7.

I have the latest chipset drivers and nic drivers, all are from this month. I ran intel's driver checker and it verifies the version number and release date for all my drivers and says I have all the current ones, also showing the numbers of previous versions so you can compare.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Tried installing Windows 7 on the SSD. Had to install from Win10 desktop as I couldn't boot to CD. Everytime I tried pressing F12 for boot options I'd be stuck on a black screen until I manually restarted.

Went through all the setup and was stuck on a black screen after one of the installation auto-restarts. Was stuck on a black screen for over an hour. Ended up reconnecting HDMI cable and for a brief second I would see "Windows is starting" but it was stuck on that. Tried unplugging and replugging HDMI over 10 minutes, no progress with windows is starting.

I'm done with this computer, it is by far the worst computer I have ever owned.

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Attempted to install Windows 7 from bootable USB

Anyone know why the Dell Logo in the initial boot is visible for a second, then visibly goes dim where you can barely see it? If I hit F2 to go to bios I can see the setup clear as day, but if I instead hit F12 from the dell screen(it's dim remember) the screen goes completely black, no more dell logo.

However, if I reconnect my hdmi cable or switch inputs to a different source and back I can clearly see the F12 options for a nano second then it goes black. I even tried to remove the graphics card and use the onboard video and it does the same thing.

The more I try to fix this computer, the more I want to smash this computer to pieces...

0 Kudos