Highlighted
MJL321
1 Nickel

RE: XPS 8900 freezing

Jump to solution

Sorry if you have already said it, But have you tried updating your chip set driver and the bios?

I know it sounds silly but if you haven't done this it might help, 

Not only have I tried updating drivers... I've even tried downgrading to older ones to see... no help.

0 Kudos
MJL321
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I pinged my Dell tech contacts about these XPS 8900 freezes...

Please let us know if you find out ANYTHING. I contacted Dell Support who wants me to reinstall my OS, which I absolutely do not have time to do at the moment.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

You could just do a Refresh which runs by itself so doesn't need much hands on from you, and probably would only take maybe a hour or so...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
cessnapilot231
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Already did a reinstall on mine, did not solve the issue unfortunately.

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

After disabling all the options under Performance in BIOS this 8900 has been running for 10.5 hours and still works. I'm not saying it's fixed yet, but if it's good by the time I get home tomorrow(will have been around 24 hours) then maybe one or more of those settings is what was causing this issue.

0 Kudos
MJL321
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Interesting... please let us know if this ends up working

0 Kudos
cessnapilot231
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Inthezone, I'm going to try this as well.  Let me know if it works for you. 

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

There should be 2 or 3 options to disable, you'll see it when you look under Performance.

0 Kudos
MJL321
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Just wondering if any of us having problems with random freezing have anything in common...

Are any of you using a Logitech wireless keyboard and/or mouse?

Any of you using office 2016?

Using a bluetooth speaker?

Using dual monitors?

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

One single video output/display, when it was freezing it didn't matter if using dvi or hdmi, nvidia or onboard graphics

No office, closest thing would be money sunset

No bluetooth speakers

Initially was using logitech solar keyboard and old wireless logitech mouse shared on one unifying receiver(these work perfectly on any other computer in the house), but after hearing a POSSIBILITY of these causing issues only with this computer I went ahead and used the factory usb mouse and keyboard. But none of this mattered as it froze on either setup.

But how about an update with the current status of my 8900 running windows 7 home premium 64 bit on my samsung ssd? It's been 24ish hours now and still going strong on the desktop. I have kept sleep mode disabled for these tests but it hasn't frozen since I disabled some options under Performance in the BIOS.

Dell was supposed to call today and I'm going to tell them what I've found, but I'm not restarting this computer any time soon. If I can keep it running nonstop for another day or two then I believe it was one or multiple settings in BIOS that was affecting this stupid computer.

I'm keeping fingers crossed...and if it does last a couple more days I'll attempt to run the factory hdd with windows 10 on it and repeat the test for a few days. Win10 was having the same randoms freezing, but as I mentioned in my findings, might be due to a bios setting.

0 Kudos