7 Plutonium

RE: XPS 8900 freezing

Jump to solution

If this system is still freezing with Win 10 and you can get into BIOS, turn off Hyper-Threading and see if that solves the problem.

There appears to be a be a fault in Intel's Gen 6 (Skylake) processor.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
cessnapilot231
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I think I am having the same issue as yours.  I just started a thread as well.  For the past month my clients new XPS 8900 has been locking up randomly for no reason. Windows 7 pro.  No resolution yet.  Will try the HT fix and report.

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I'll look for the HT setting in BIOS. Thanks

0 Kudos
cessnapilot231
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I changed this setting on the PC that is having the issue as well...still crashing.  I'm going to contact these people and demand a different machine, or will dispute the charge on the corporate credit card.  This is ridiculous. 

0 Kudos
MJL321
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Having this same issue... please post back if you find any potential solution...

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

3 people with random freezing on 8900's and HT disabled didn't fix it. That ***. I'll still try it when I get home.

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I didn't see anything with Hyper Threading, but I disabled all the enabled boosts in performance like speedstep and whatever else was there. There were 2 or 3 options I disabled and saved.

We'll see if anything changes, should find out by tonight...

0 Kudos
cessnapilot231
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I just filed a complaint with the better business bureau (bbb.org).  I've ordered a ton of equipment and servers from Dell over the years and to just be like "eh, sorry" is not acceptable.  I spoke with tech support, they want to replace all parts in the machine.  But it's only a month old, and other people are having this issue so I told them not to waste their time or my time. 

Maybe a class action lawsuit will change their tune.  This is costing me money due to lost production with their defective product. 

0 Kudos
deadpooly
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Sorry if you have already said it, But have you tried updating your chip set driver and the bios?

I know it sounds silly but if you haven't done this it might help, 

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

I pinged my Dell tech contacts about these XPS 8900 freezes...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos