MJL321
1 Nickel

RE: XPS 8900 freezing

Jump to solution

Darn, was hoping the Logitech kb/mouse might be the culprit, as I had also read something similar.

Mine just did the daily freeze, so I went ahead and disabled all the performance options in BIOS as well. We'll see how long this lasts.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

Disabling sleep adds another variable in addition to disabling the performance settings in BIOS. So if it continues to run without freezing, you might want to re-enable the sleep settings to see if that has any effect.

Might as well test everything which should make it easier to pinpoint and fix the issue...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
cessnapilot231
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Dual monitors for me.  Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse.  Office 2013.  No speakers.  Was initially having a problem with the USB ports on this computer.  Some of them wouldn't respond at all.  Especially the ones on the front.  

THIS COMPUTER IS A DISASTER.  I haven't gotten any call backs or return emails from managers.  No response to the complaint.  I think they are just hoping we all go away. 

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

This morning the computer was still running, so it's been good for around 40 hours now.

I haven't had any usb issues *knock on wood* but maybe the ones that are need to download/reinstall the newest drivers.

0 Kudos
MJL321
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Just to make sure... all you've done is disable all the "Performance" options in BIOS? And you haven't rebooted since? Have you reinstalled any drivers or anything?

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Correct.

There are two or three settings to simply disable, apply, save, reboot and it has run non stop. I haven't updated anything since the last restart 40 hours ago. I also have the adjusted the windows power options to not allow the computer to go to sleep or hibernate.

I'm running on a SSD with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, all the updates already installed.

The problem it seems is definitely one or more of these performance bios settings.

0 Kudos
Dobby51
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

FWIW, Intel's Skylake chips have a bug in them that can cause your PC to freeze during heavy workloads.  Intel is working on a fix.  Be on the lookout for updates.

arstechnica.com/.../intel-skylake-bug-causes-pcs-to-freeze-during-complex-workloads

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

so what's the fix for skylake chips to not freeze when the computer is sitting at the desktop with 0% load? lol

btw this computer has been working for over 48 hours now!!!

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

RE: XPS 8900 / 6th Gen Intel Skylake Freezing (UPDATED WITH RESOLUTION...ALL IN THE BIOS)

Jump to solution

Power saving features are a problem.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

RE: XPS 8900 / 6th Gen Intel Skylake Freezing (UPDATED WITH RESOLUTION...ALL IN THE BIOS)

Jump to solution

My Dell tech contact asked if anyone has tried booting in Safe Mode+Networking without changing the default factory CPU performance settings in BIOS. Please post back with results for Safe Mode and include version of BIOS and Windows on your system.

If you've changed the default CPU performance settings and also disabled sleep/hibernation, please re-enable sleep/hibernation, leaving the BIOS settings the way you changed them., so it's clearer if Windows sleep/hibernation is part or possibly all of the problem.

And how many of you have actually contacted Dell Tech Support about the problem and what did they say? Be helpful for my contact to research the extent of this problem and potentially expedite determining the cause and solution.

Just remember, I don't work for Dell, so please don't shoot the messenger.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos