cessnapilot231
1 Nickel

RE: XPS 8900 / 6th Gen Intel Skylake Freezing (UPDATED WITH RESOLUTION...ALL IN THE BIOS)

Jump to solution
It appears to be just the C states setting in bios. I disabled the C states setting only and for 2 days it worked fine. Reset bios to factory last night and it locked up today. Also a little coincidental that the XPS 8300 has a C state issue with the C6 report setting. www.dell.com/.../SLN117837
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

RE: XPS 8900 / 6th Gen Intel Skylake Freezing (UPDATED WITH RESOLUTION...ALL IN THE BIOS)

Jump to solution

Dell support had provided me a proprietary download to check the system, but no issues were found. That's as far as I got with them.

The issue definitely is not a Windows issue because the same problem occurred on Windows 7 and Windows 10 and never have I had a Windows 7 computer freeze on me since that was released...

After disabling all 3 performance options, all freezing went away. Since then I've re-enabled all settings and it hasn't frozen again, which is strange.

I'll let this current setup run a little longer before making any other changes.

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

when you re-enabled c-state did you have sleep enabled or disabled?

I have my sleep disabled, and re-enabling c-state has not frozen the computer. i'm thinking maybe there's an issue with c-state only when sleep is already enabled.

That'll be my next step for troubleshooting if I don't hear anything or if my computer stays good til tomorrow.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

The issue definitely is not a Windows issue because the same problem occurred on Windows 7 and Windows 10

But you've never had a PC with a Skylake CPU before now. So there could be a defect in these new chips that conflicts with several versions of Windows. We already know "complex computations" cause Skylake to fail and that isn't an issue with the previous versions of the CPU.

Curious that after re-enabling those BIOS settings, the freezes haven't recurred. Have you cold booted at least one after you re-enabled all those settings?

And nothing I've seen posted so far rules out sleep/hibernation as the root of this problem...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

froze again, keeping C-state off for good

0 Kudos
MJL321
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

So, now you have everything enabled besides C-state, sleep/hibernate?

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

correct, still running, will give it another day before reporting

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I did almost all your suggestions accept disabling sleep, set back to 4 hours instead. I did all this yesterday & so far no more problems. Just curious, why did you feel it necessary to set everything back to where you found it if it got your system to work properly? Just trying to keep everything @ default settings? THANKS for your HELP, Greg 16 Jan. 2016

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Just wanted to see what was causing the issue so I can report to Dell my findings. And not sure if you saw my last update, C-state seems to be the issue, not speedstep or turboboost.

0 Kudos
larryc
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Please forgive me for jumping into this thread so late in the game, but this is of personal concern to me, as explained below.

I am expecting my new XPS 8900 to arrive on Monday, January 18. It is meant as a replacement for an XPS 8700, which has had problems with random freezing for more than a year now. Now that I've read about (presumably unrelated) freezing problems with the 8900, I want to do whatever it takes to make sure my new PC doesn't also subject me to random freezes (the 8700 freezes have been driving me crazy).

Based on my reading, C-states are CPU power-saving modes which are changed in BIOS. Changing C-states is something I've never dealt with previously, so I have a couple of questions:

!. What is the default setting for C-state (the "out of the box" setting)?

2. Assuming that this setting is causing the freezes users are reporting, what should I change the setting to?

Thanks!

--Larry

0 Kudos