InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

RE: XPS 8900 / 6th Gen Intel Skylake Freezing (UPDATED WITH RESOLUTION...ALL IN THE BIOS)

Jump to solution

I would run your computer as is out of the box without changing anything

But if you experience freezing, simply DISABLE C-state in BIOS. It's enabled by default. Uncheck the box to disable, apply, save, exit. That's it.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

RE: XPS 8900 / 6th Gen Intel Skylake Freezing (UPDATED WITH RESOLUTION...ALL IN THE BIOS)

Jump to solution

Translation   Windows update failed due to internet disconnect.

Internet loss caused by power saving sleep.

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

7- Thorium

Jump to solution

InTheZoneAC - that's an interesting result.

For the record, which version of BIOS is running on your system?

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I installed 2.0.3 after discovering the freezing, but nothing changed. The factory bios version number was 2.1.0, I believe, but for whatever reason they don't have that newest version listed on the dell site.

0 Kudos
MJL321
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Any more updates?

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

No freezing

Just keep C-state disabled and it works.

I'm upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 on the SSD now, but I have the factory 1TB HDD with Windows 10 as a backup if anything goes seriously wrong, but I doubt it at this point.

0 Kudos
cessnapilot231
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Well bad news for me.  Started happening again today even with C states disabled.  2x today already.  Getting a replacement.  Done with this nonsense. 

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

That ***.

I just enabled sleep yesterday, computer was good this morning. And you're 100% positive C-state is still disabled?

Are you on the factory bios of 2.1.0 or did you downgrade like me and are on 2.0.3?

I emailed dell technical support and they're a little slow in helping me. I told them C-state was the issue and if they had a download link for the factory BIOS 2.1.0. They told they don't recommend downgrading(uh hello, already told you it already happened) and that they don't have 2.1.0(well how was it on my system then if they don't have it?). Dell download does not list 2.1.0 for whatever reason either

I wanted to try this setup with the factory bios version to finalize testing. I'm sure a new bios version is coming out soon anyway seeing how they've acknowledged an issue with this processor, just frustrating how dell doesn't even know what bios was provided with their system and can't tell that what they offer on the download site doesn't list the newest bios version.

0 Kudos
cessnapilot231
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I believe my client is on whatever it came with, 2.1.0. C states is surely disabled. My client is running out of patience with this machine. Dell is doing an exchange with the optiplex 9020. I have several dozen optiplex's out there and so far zero issues. Their engineering department is getting this machine back so they can investigate further.

0 Kudos
InTheZoneAC
2 Iron

Jump to solution

It's a shame that Dell didn't check this already after our initial complaints.

How many XPS 8900's do they have in inventory? Why couldn't they turn on a few of them and leave them all on for a day. They would see all are frozen themselves.

Why is it so hard for them to conduct these tests on their own without needing our systems? I doubt it's just a few and bet it's probably all that are doing this.

0 Kudos