Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 19th, 2015 09:00

XPS 8900 BSOD's out of box. Exchanged XPS 8900 does the same thing.

RESOLVED! ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main fix: Disable this driver: bcmwl664.sys (Broadcom 802.11 Network Adapter wireless driver, Broadcom Corporation)

This can be done by finding and disabling the wi fi card in the Device Manager - find the WIRELESS driver - not the regular network driver, under Network Adapters, right click, and select "Disable".

If you've already begun to reinstall Windows out of frustration, or in a last ditch effort to save yourself the trouble of another return (like I did), make sure to NOT install the Broadcom Wireless driver from Dell's site. Otherwise, you'll be back where you started.

User dbark has also found another issue, slightly OT but it might help some of you - on his 8900 file explorer won't open when left-clicking from the task bar. Screen flashes, icons reload and wallpaper changes (slideshow mode is on). Right-clicking and selecting a folder works. Right-clicking on a file or desktop icon crashes.

He read that a shell extension was the likely culprit and using ShellExView he was able to ID NVIDIA's "OpenGLShExt Class" (file nv3dappshext.dll) to be the cause by process of elimination. We're still working through the fix there, details on page 7.

Original post below. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posting my story here so that I'm using all available channels. Also, the three reps I'd been working with over email have gone dark since I mentioned the word "refund". So I thought maybe I could find some help here. I'm spending my last shreds of hope here, before all becomes darkness.

I ordered an XPS 8900 system on 10/15, and received it on 10/27. Within a couple hours of powering on the system, I got a BSOD that said "UNCORRECTABLE HARDWARE ERROR". I'm somewhat computer saavy but I had never seen this BSOD before. After using my other older computer (also a Dell - still works great) to research the issue, I determined that I did not have the skills to diagnose or fix whatever this might be (most resources said power supply issues, bad RAM). I did see that a RAM clamp was not fastened tightly, so I clamped it in. But no dice.

I called Dell and started the age old customer service tradition of, did I try restarting, yes I did. Yes, I tried restarting. Overall my experience was OK. Mostly I feel like there's one guy in any group of phone reps who actually knows stuff about these machines, and everyone asks him what to do. That's my theory, because after each answer I gave, I was placed on hold for several minutes. In the end, the decision was made to try a new motherboard. The conversation moved to email and a Dell authorized tech was scheduled to come out and install the board. 

On 11/2 the new board was installed, but the computer would not boot at all now. Before, it went to Windows but BSOD'd after anywhere from 30 min to 2 hrs. Never more than 2 hrs. The Dell tech spoke with customer care from my home and more parts were ordered - a cable and hard drive. A 2nd visit was scheduled for 11/5, after which the computer was still not functional. That same day I heard from a sales rep who asked if I wanted an exchange, to which I replied, yes, I would like an exchange.

The new computer arrived 11/17 and I sent back the broken one. I ran through Windows first time set up. As I prepared dinner, I started installing my programs and getting other stuff set up. Holding a pan of simmering taco meat (I use ground turkey, try it - it's great), something caught my eye in the periphery. I set down the pan and saw that the screen had changed to the BSOD. It said: UNCORRECTABLE HARDWARE ERROR. Yes, the new computer gave me exactly the same error.

Quick aside -  last night, 11/18 I received an email from the original rep asking if I ever got that hard drive and cable.

So here's the sequence of events that took place:

1. Original BSOD - UNRECOVERABLE HARDWARE ERROR on 10/27
2. First visit from Dell technician to install new motherboard (did not resolve issue) - 11/2
3. Second visit by Dell tech to install cable and new hard drive (did not resolve issue) - 11/5
4. Same day, heard from Sales rep regarding exchange 11/5. I replied I wanted to go ahead and exchange
5. Sales rep initiates exchange and new computer goes into production - 11/6
6. Receive new computer and pack up/send back nonfunctional one - 11/17
7. New computer is unpacked - 11/17 6:00pm
8. New computer gives same BSOD UNCORRECTABLE HARDWARE ERROR, 11/17 6:27pm while software is installing

And here are the steps to repro the BSOD on my system. Remember - this is right out of the shipping box.

1. Hook up my monitors, keyboard/mouse, network cable and the power cable provided
2. Windows 7 Pro first time setup
3. Install Google Chrome
4. Log into Autodesk account, download Maya installer
5. Begin Maya installation - never finished, BSOD

I have written back to the sales rep and the original rep requesting that we start the refund procedure. Normally the original rep would get back to me pretty quick, but not this time. And I asked the sales rep about a refund about two days ago now with no response. What are my other options at this point? My situation is this: I have spent a lot of money on something which does not work. What can I do about this?

105 Posts

November 21st, 2015 13:00

I edited the question about the wifi card out, as it's likely not the issue, however Broadcom/Dell Wireless drivers for Windows 10 were packaged with Windows 8 sys files and will cause BSODs every 15 - 60min.  I made Dell and Broadcom both aware of this back in early August and neither have bothered to investigate, let alone pull the drivers or offer updated versions.  You can pull the wifi card, just to be sure, but most likely it's not the issue.

While it is "possible" to get the same issue with two different machines, it's highly improbable.  This would indicate a serious manufacturing quality assurance issue, however the news about LG from the past week is proof it can occur. I skimmed both pages, however currently don't have the time to read each post in depth, so if I ask something that's already been discussed, I'll apologize ahead of time. 

• Stick with the integrated graphics for troubleshooting purposes... we know they're not the issue.
  • My best advice is this:
    • Start clean
    • 1st, pull your wifi card, just to be safe.
      1. Reboot to BIOS and revert everything to default (it's one of the F keys and will say which one on the bottom of the screen)
      2. Reboot into Windows 10 setup (unless you're required to upgrade to it first for it to activate, and if so, do the upgrade and once you've verified the hardware ID has been activated, proceed to 3)
      3. Once you receive a prompt, hit Shift + F10
        1. diskpart
        2. sel dis 0
          • where 0 is your install disk
        3. clean
        4. convert gpt
        5. exit
      4. Once at the partition GUI, select your disk, and install Windows 10
      5. To keep a controlled environment, DO NOT use email sign on, and instead create a local account.  This prevents registry settings from your backed up profile from being synced into your user registry stores.
        1. Once booted into Windows, you must follow this order:
          1. Drivers (search dell for the required install order and make 100% sure they are Windows 10 drivers... Windows 8/8.1 drivers are not compatible in the slightest with Windows 10)
            1. Should be CPU Chipset, IMEI, any other processor drivers, RST, Media card chipset (if you have one), Integrated Graphics, GPU drivers, Audio, etc.
            2. Prior to installing RST and all remaining drivers, verify if their respective manufacturer's websites offer newer drivers, and if so, use them.   
            3. Do not initially install your wifi drivers, as they can be installed later, and on the off chance they contain Windows 8 files, it's best to keep the number of possible causes of errors to the bare minimum
            4. To keep
          2. Windows Updates
          3. Internet Security Product
          4. 3rd Party software

105 Posts

November 21st, 2015 14:00

It'll be tiny, around 2" x 2" or so.  

You can download the iso via the media creation tool

As long as you follow the steps in my last post on pg 3, it will allow you to determine whether this is hardware related or software related.  If you get the same error after installing everything in the correct order, and it doesn't occur following a specific driver install, that should show definitively it's a hardware issue

November 21st, 2015 14:00

Thanks JW. I actually did find the WIndows 10 upgrade button in the taskbar, so I've begun that process. It's almost a 3 GB download, I hope it's progressive since I'm likely to get another BSOD before it's done.

I actually don't see where the WiFi card is inside the computer; I don't see anything that looks like one.

November 21st, 2015 20:00

The browser flagged one of the drivers as having a corrupt or invalid driver signature after it finished downloading:

Intel I2xx/825xx Gigabit Ethernet Network Controller Drivers

Network_Driver_KJTXR_WN32_20.2.0.0_A00.EXE

November 21st, 2015 20:00

I'm typing this very quietly because the computer is right next to me. I'm whispering this: It has been a little over two hours I believe, since I finished the Windows 10 installation and began grabbing drivers. No critical crashes yet.

I was able to sign into my Dell account and enter my service tag for all the proper apps/drivers. Currently I'm downloading all the drivers in installation order, placing them in numbered folders 1,2,3, etc

When I have them all I'll go down the list and install. Let me ask this - during the Win 10 install it also said it was installing drivers. I'm planning to just do all the downloading tonight, and the installs in the morning. If this thing soaks overnight without crashing, are we sure we want to muddy the waters with these drivers? Do you think it's absolutely necessary?

135 Posts

November 21st, 2015 21:00

Return it.

You wasted so much time on this how could you ever enjoy this computer.

It has so much bad karma.

What is most remarkable is that you say you actually had this problem with two separate machines.

That is some serious bad luck.

Hope your luck turns around.

105 Posts

November 21st, 2015 21:00

To your last reply, redownload and if the same thing occurs, verify the file hashes listed under the driver information page (should be at the bottom of the page IIRC).  You can find a windows program to do so on SourceForge.

Windows 10, like Windows 8 before it, maintains a vast library of drivers and installs generic ones to match your hardware profile.  Without this, for example, you wouldn't be able to use your keyboard or touchpad, view a screen image, etc. You still must install the drivers specific to your hardware in the order specified by Dell.

Since Dell revamped how search results are returned, it may be easier for you to search the NoteBook Review Forum for the install order.  Its basically the same for all PCs, and, if you continue from where I left off earlier (at discrete GPU drivers), the rest would be:

• Audio, LAN, WiFi, BT, TP (for laptops), USB 3 

You must reboot after each and every driver install... even if it doesn't prompt for reboot.  

November 22nd, 2015 00:00

Thanks JW and Cathaleen. Cathaleen ordinarily I'd agree with you, I went so far as to get the refund started. I think I'm starting to get at least a general idea of what happened here though. I'm going to give it another 24 hours. I haven't installed drivers yet but it's been idling on the desktop all evening without any BSOD's (or whatever Windows 10's BSOD is). This is huge. Longest it ever went was about 1.5-2 hours before.

I think it's possible that some of the hardware components/drivers just did not jive with Windows 7. I notice that on my Dell product page - JW they list the installation order there - they only list Win 10 versions of stuff. Which if I hadn't been paying attention I might have installed back when I was debugging Windows 7. I think maybe getting Win7 pre installed with no backup disc included threw a monkeywrench into the works.

I'm going to get the drivers installed tomorrow as well as my software and try to use it a s my primary machine for the afternoon, see what happens.

105 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 09:00

Out of curiosity, are you using any hardware that was installed in the previous unit, such as an HDD?

If not, and you reset the BIOS and haven't modified anything on your end, return the machine.  Something isn't right, as that error only occurs due to a few reasons: overclocking, drivers, faulting HDD, faulting RAM.  

The fact you've had issues occur on two separate devices is indicative of only two possible scenarios:

1. Substantial quality assurance has failed on Dell's end
  2. Something you've done on your end.
  • It is possible both units were damaged in shipping, however there's no way to determine this for sure and the only way to find the source of your issues is some serious debugging through WDK (Windows Debug Kit), something I do not know how to do.

At this point, you're better off returning the machine and emailing the executive resolutions department about your experience, as it's not topical and highly irregular.

If you do decided to get another desktop through Dell, first touch base with someone in their executive resolutions department so your system is flagged and pulled for quality assurance diagnostic testing once Dell receives it back.

105 Posts

When you installed Windows 10, did you clean install it or just upgrade the previous OS to Windows 10?  If it's the latter, Windows 10 must be clean installed.  

• As I mentioned previously, if you do not have an actual Windows 10 product key, Windows 10 must first be upgraded to, verified it [Windows 10] is activated, then the PC needs to be booted from the install DVD/USB drive, the drive wiped, and Windows 10 clean installed.

The computer soaked overnight and was still on the desktop this morning. I've installed all the drivers, and began WIndows Update. While downloading the updates -

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you (100% complete)

If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error:

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR

Back to square one.

November 22nd, 2015 10:00

I rebooted from the Win 10 DVD and ran through these steps:

• Once you receive a prompt, hit Shift + F10
  1. diskpart
  2. sel dis 0
    • where 0 is your install disk
  3. clean
  4. convert gpt
  5. exit

Shift F10 didn't do anything with the command prompt window open. Everything else seemed to go OK, but when I pick "Reset this PC - Remove Everything" It gives the 'Getting things ready' message, then says "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing". A reboot into the CD doesn't change the result.

Thank you guys for your help but I think I'm done, I just can't waste any more time on this. After I visit FedEx tomorrow I'll write an email confirming that it's in the mail, and attach a summary of the issues and a link to this thread, with a recommendation that my system have a team of people roll up their sleeves and stand around trying to figure out what happened here. I have a feeling I am not the only one who will encounter issues like this, and if we can at least prevent further horrors for other people by researching this, that would be a positive outcome. 

It could be as simple as, don't allow certain options from the drop down menu on the website when customers are configuring these machines. I know the 8900 is one of the newer rigs available, I may have just revealed a bad hardware/driver combo of some sort.

In any case, thanks again for your help. If I ever hear back from them with a "Hey here's what that BSOD was" I'll update this thread. I don't know if you guys work with Dell or advise people on computers for your day job, but that info may prove useful if you ever see this again from someone else.

105 Posts

Without you clean installing windows, there's no way to rule out drivers (which I suspect are the issue).

Please perform the following:

1. Copy all the drivers you've downloaded to an external HDD or USB drive (if they're on the same HDD as the system partition)
  2. If you're currently running the Windows 10 install that was upgraded from Windows 7, verify in Settings - Update & Security - Activation it says Windows is Activated.
    1. If it does not, activate Windows and proceed to Step 3

3. Boot from the Windows 10 ISO downloaded from the Media Creation Tool, not the one supplied by Dell.
  4. If you've already converted the HDD to GPT [from MBR], format the drive under the partition layout GUI in Setup, install Windows 10, and refer to my steps from yesterday.

Until you clean install Windows 10, there's no way to rule out drivers.  The simple fact that most end users did not clean install Windows 10 after taking the free upgrade is the main cause of issues for majority of end users.

Thanks JW. I did the upgrade. But once it went two hours without a crash, I decided to just let the upgrade sit overnight, which it did successfully. I'll try the boot cd.

Honestly I'll probably never know what this was. I've been googling the issue as well and see the same results as you. My feeling at this point is that one or more of the shipped/pack-in drivers is either corrupt, or straight up not the correct version/mismatched with the hardware. If it soaks 11 hours without an issue, fresh Win 10 install, generic drivers/no updates, but then I get a BSOD within 15 minutes after doing all the drivers and updates, I suspect it's driver related. The BSOD COULD have been waiting to happen anyway. Also it COULD be hardware, but having two machines' hardware fail exactly the same way seems improbable to me. 

In any case, I've gone way, waaaaaaaay further down this rabbit hole than your average consumer should have to go. When you buy a computer you should be able to unbox it and get to work. I just get into this mindset where I have to know what's going on, for learning purposes if nothing else.

105 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 11:00

You're doing something completely different.... If you're getting an option to reset your PC, you haven't booted from the Windows 10 ISO.

The very first screen you'll come to when you boot from the Windows 10 ISO will be window asking you to select your language.  This is where you press Shift + F10, which opens an admin command prompt.

From conversing with you, it seems you may get better help from Dell Tech Support who can stay on the phone with you and walk you through what you need to do, as I've explained numerous times the steps you need to take and each time you do something completely different.  Best of luck to you =]

In the future, I would encourage you to take the time to listen and follow the instructions given when someone is taking the time to help you.  You've wasted an entire day (from yesterday to the present) disregarding the steps I gave you and doing your own thing... which is fine, except doing your own thing appears to be what the issue is.

No Events found!