JW0914
2 Iron

RE: XPS 8900 BSOD's out of box. Exchanged XPS 8900 does the same thing.

Jump to solution

I encourage you to re-read my post... New PCs are only being sold with Windows 7 due to Microsoft offering free upgrades to Windows 10 to anyone with a valid Windows 7/8 product key.

• Case in point: Dell, like all OEMs, only started offering to sell new PCs with Windows 7 again AFTER Microsoft announced the free upgrade for the 1st year, and only when doing so would put the PC in the consumer's hands as close to the Windows 10 RTM date as possible. 
  • The only PC series Dell was actively selling Windows 7 on [that I'm aware of], prior to the free upgrade to Windows 10 was announced, was Alienware, and this was phased out after 8.1 was released.

Simply because they can run Windows 7 does not mean they're being sold with the intent of consumers actually running Windows 7.  I'm not going to entertain a debate on the absurdity of running a 6.5 year old OS that's obsolete, especially when critical hardware components like graphics cards are not made with Windows 7 in mind (of which is unable to run DirectX12).

• There are a handful of situations when running a prior OS would be necessary, usually involving corporate computers or with very specific complex software.  Most consumer software can run in compatibility mode
  • This being said, there are a minute percentage of users that don't like change when it comes to their OS [not intended as a judgement, simply an observation], however most don't fall into this category.  99% of users purchasing a new PC with Windows 7 have no intent of running Windows 7.

If you'd like to understand why OEMs are selling PCs with Windows 7, I'd encourage you to research OEM Microsoft contracts for a more thorough understanding.

SilverStone DS380 AsRock C2750D4I | AW 18 In Win Chopin SuperMicro A1SRi-2758F
2.4gHz 8C Avoton C2750 | OC 3.5gHz 4C 4710MQ 2.4gHz 8C Avoton C2758
32GB Crucial ECC ; Vantec UGT-PCE430-4C | 32GB Crucial ; 8GB M290x 16GB Kingston ECC
Seagate: ST4000VN000 (8) Z1 ; ST750LX003 (3) Z1 ; Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | Samsung 850 Evo: 1TB ; 500GB mSATA Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
FreeNAS 9.3 | Win 10 Pro Sophos UTM 9.3

0 Kudos
cathaleen
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Dell would not sell Windows 7 if it did not run on these systems.  They create and test drivers for compatibility. People buy it for compatibility with software that has not yet been published for Windows 10 (in my case it was VPN software used for secure connections to various banks).  Other people are motivated to buy it for similar reasons.  Some simply dislike Windows 10 and consider it spyware (if you ever read the Windiws 10 license you may be shocked to learn what you are agreeing to when installing Windows 10 - but that is a whole other discussion).  But it all comes down to the fact that Windows 7 is sold and works on the XPS 8900 despite your feelings otherwise.  This user had an unusual experience.  Something is missing from his story as to why he encountered BSOD on two separate machines 'right out of the box' as he states.  He must have installed something that seemed trivial but stopped the machine dead.  It reminds me of the Vostros 430 that would BSOD if you started it with a Blackberry connected to the USB port.   That would leave people scratching their head... And when I was asked to look at it I simply unplugged the Blackberry and it started normally the system must have tried yo boot from it but the blackberry had unexpected software on it).  Would be interesting to know what caused the problem here but we will likely never know.  I highly doubt Dell is shipping multiple units with corrupt drivers.  This fellow had two machines in a row with the same BSOD problem.  Very fishy, but certainly nothing to do with it running Windows 7.  

0 Kudos
JW0914
2 Iron

Jump to solution

As I said, I'm not going to debate it with you... you're welcome to your opinion.  Have a great day =]

In regards to 

Something is missing from his story as to why he encountered BSOD on two separate machine 'right out of the box' as he states.  He must have installed something that seemed trivial but stopped the machine dead.

As I've stated multiple times, there has been at least one instance where Dell and Broadcom both included Windows 8 sys files in with Windows 10 system critical drivers causing instability and repeated BSODs every 15 - 60 min... it's not improbable this is also what occurred with the ZT Deployment of the 8900 with the configuration he ordered.  

If he's stated he didn't install anything and this occurred right out the box, then you should take him at his word unless there's evidence to the contrary. To suggest otherwise about any user who's delved this deep into troubleshooting their issue is disrespectful and hubristic.

• When you buy a new PC direct from an OEM, that PC has never been booted before, as the ZT Deployment WIMs are thoroughly tested before being green lit for mass production.  More likely than not, a minor driver update injection was probably performed and either the wrong drivers were injected or drivers containing Windows 8 sys files were.

32GB Crucial ECC ; Vantec UGT-PCE430-4C | 32GB Crucial ; 8GB M290x 16GB Kingston ECC
Seagate: ST4000VN000 (8) Z1 ; ST750LX003 (3) Z1 ; Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | Samsung 850 Evo: 1TB ; 500GB mSATA Samsung 850 Pro 128GB

0 Kudos
cathaleen
2 Iron

Jump to solution

It only becomes a 'debate' if you keep replying.  And replying that it is not a debate is a debate.  It is the same sort of logic as saying no new machine is meant to run Windows 7 and then saying how new machines are sold with Windows 7.  Illogical.

0 Kudos
cathaleen
2 Iron

Jump to solution

No so.  Questioning things us how we all learn and grow.

0 Kudos
JW0914
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Correct... but telling an end user their lying about their own experience with their PC doesn't fall into that category.  I don't know if you're simply looking for an argument as entertainment or simply straight bonkers... either way, best of luck to you. 

0 Kudos
cathaleen
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Gosh, for someone that says he is not debating it sure seems like you want to with your constant replies.

Not 'simply looking for an argument' but rather simply correcting what I feel are statements based on feeling rather than fact.  The fact being that Windows 7 is sold on new machines, and it is purchased that way not just out of feeling of nostalgia but out of necessity since not all software used in the world runs under Windows 10.  

Also nobody called anyone a liar here.  I expressed my sense that something was missing from this story.  That does not suggest that anyone lied, why would they lie when they come here to try to solve a problem with their computer?   Why someone would think that meant lie is peculiar.  Omission of fact is not a lie, it is an omission. 

Hopefully you really will just let this die and not try to not debate any further.

0 Kudos
dbark1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Here's an update to the post I wrote yesterday morning, but since the moderator took all day to approve it, some people might not have seen it...

Anyway, as I stated I have the same problems with the exact same machine last week. I did the upgrade to 10 via the website and stumbled into the solution of disabling the Broadcom WIFI driver. That solved the problem for my computer.

Afterward I decided to confirm that it was the Broadcom WIFI driver so I enabled it again, but I didn't just stop there. Before enabling it I searched for an update and sure enough, there was one. At 11am yesterday I updated the driver and enabled it. The good: my machine remains crash free. The bad: I didn't use the old driver to confirm it was the problem.

So to anyone stumbling across this thread having the same issue, I recommend disabling the WIFI driver before going too far down the road. If you need the WIFI capability, update it once you're proven crash-free. Personally I wouldn't throttle back a powerhouse machine like this with a WIFI connection.

Cheers

Highlighted
cathaleen
2 Iron

Jump to solution

DBark,

That is a very interesting insight.   And that is exactly the sort of thing that I meant when saying something was missing from the original posters description of the problem.   If he was using wifi and also had the problem that you had then it explains his dilemma and explains why I hVe not seen it despite installing scores of these machines (I never use wifi to set these up as it is so slow relative to a cable connection).

Thanks for posting.   That is good information that hopefully someone at Dell will pick up on, I say hopefully but my expectations are quite low that they actually read or care about messages here.

Kudos to you.

dbark1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Machine is still up and running with no crashes since the "fix".

I do want to clarify that I was not using the wifi; I was plugged in. The wifi card was enabled though. I disabled it and the crashes stopped. After a while I updated it's driver, enabled it again and still no crashes. wifi card is still enabled today, but not used.

I wish the original poster would give us an update. I think he did a lot of needless work tho.

P.S. Love the speed of this machine!

0 Kudos