Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 7th, 2016 14:00

XPS 8900 HDD not recognized by Windows 10

I chased my tail for a while on this one so I thought I would try to save others the same problem. I installed an SSD and was planning on using the HDD for data storage. The SSD is my boot drive. I did a fresh install of W10, several times;)

Symptoms:

HDD shows up in bios.

Windows does not see HDD in Disk Manager or Device Manager.

Diskpart does not see HDD when run from Windows.

Diskpart does see HDD when run from installation image.

Conclusion:

It was the installation of the Dell supplied, Intel driver that disappeared the HDD. I tried versions 14.8.1.1043_A03 and version 14.8.9.1053_A06, neither worked. I reinstalled Windows and left the windows driver, all is well.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 17th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for the fix. To add the data to the thread title, what was the Dell computer model?

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

August 17th, 2016 08:00

Computer is a fairly new XPS 8900, added to subject.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 17th, 2016 11:00

INTEL RST 14.8.9.1053 or HIGHER and Management driver must match your chipset and you must install the 100 series chipset driver and INTEL XHCI USB 3 Drivers.  Older F6 drivers are not applicable.

Installing older driver will indeed make the drive disappear.

With an NVME SSD you require the NVME F6 Driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26167/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Family-for-NVMe-Drivers

These are not native to windows 7 or 8 or 10.

Description Download
Intel Rapid Storage Technology F6 Driver
Intel Rapid Storage Technology F6 Driver for OptiPlex, Precision, Latitude, XPS, Alienware, Inspiron, Vostro, and PowerEdge Servers series running the following Windows Operating Systems: Win 7, Win 8.1, and Win 10.More details

Description Download
Intel(R) Management Engine Interface Driver
This package provides Intel Management Engine Interface Driver and is supported on OptiPlex, Precision, XPS and Latitude running the following Operating Systems: Windows 7 32bits/64bits, Windows 8.1 32bits/64bits, Windows 10 32bits/64bits.More details
Intel 100 Series Chipset Driver
This package provides Intel 100 Series Chipset Driver and is supported on XPS 8900 running the following Windows Operating systems: Windows 7, 8.1, 10 .More details

Description Download
Intel USB3.0 xHCI Driver
This package provides the driver for Intel USB 3.0 xHCI and is supported on XPS 8900 systems running the following Operating Systems: Windows 8.1.More details

1 Rookie

• 

12 Posts

August 17th, 2016 21:00

Speedstep,

Once again I find your response irrelevant. It's like you don't even read the information presented and you regurgitate vague and inaccurate information. Please do me a favor and do not respond to any more of my posts you may come across. You are wasting both of our time.

No Events found!