Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2017 23:00

XPS 8900 No sound from speakers / Headphones OK

Connected previously working Dell speakers from old workstation (2 speakers, USB powered, single green plug) to just purchased XPS 8900 rear green jack ... no sound from speakers.  Connect headphones to jack on top of XPS 8900 and they work great.  Any suggestions on why no sound (audio) from external speakers?

1 Message

January 8th, 2017 18:00

I'm having the same issues with my XPS 8900 that we bought 1/7/17! I'm using brand new Logitech Z130 speakers. When connecting them to the middle audio output on the PC back I get no sound! I can connect the speaker wire to the headphone jack & the speakers work perfectly-HELP!!

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 12th, 2017 07:00

Disconnect anything from the front audio jack. Disconnect the speakers from the rear #9 bottom/middle green audio jack.

Plug headphones into that jack. Start playing music. Do you hear audio through the headphones? There should be an option in the Realtek ALC3861 audio control panel to see what ports have something plugged into them? Open the system Control Panel and look for Realtek. If found, open it and see what options it offers.

3 Posts

January 12th, 2017 14:00

When I originally found out there was no sound when I plugged my speakers into the green jack on the back of the PC, I went ahead and tried plugging in my headphones into the jack but still no sound.  Note that when I plug my headphones into headphone jack on top of PC the sound works perfectly.  I also have checked the Realtek ALC3861 audio control panel per your suggestion and it correctly shows which jacks I have things plugged into, namely the bottom/middle green speaker jack when I plug in the speakers and headphone jack when I plug in my headphones.  I am using Dell speakers that have one audio plug and a USB plug ... there is no volume control or on/off switch on these speakers but the power-on light is "on" when I have the USB plugged in.  I took these speakers from another PC where they were working fine.    I have also gone through all the diagnostic tests here:  www.dell.com/.../SLN151723  (except not the last one "Reseat Sound Card"), but still no success and no sound from speakers.  How can headphone jack be OK, but the speaker jacks not?? This is a brand new XPS8900 running Windows 10.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 13th, 2017 05:00

Uninstall the Realtek ALC3861 audio from the Device Manager. When done, restart the XPS 8900. Allow Windows to find new hardware and install the driver, then restart again. Then retest.

3 Posts

January 13th, 2017 08:00

Thanks Chris for your suggestions.  I was able to get the speakers to work last night!  I had just received an automatic Windows update on my computer and when I restarted the computer the speakers started working too.  I don't know what the Windows update did nor what the original problem was, but things are good now.  Thanks again.

No Events found!